Electrical vs Computer Engineering

In summary: Both electrical and computer engineering can work on power transmission and three-phase motors. However, computer engineering is more specialized in this area.
dougouk
Hi, I am a grade 12 student, applying for uni for the coming September.
And yet, I'm still having trouble with deciding my course.

Electrical and Computer Engineering, I am confused with the two.

From wiki and other places I see that Electrical is more concerned with telecommunications and computer is concerned about just computer. But then there are ppl around me that say electrical eng is more concerned with the hardware of electrical devices where computer eng is more concerned with software. Is that true?

I'm looking to work with electrical devices like Ipad, tablets, mp3, laptops... and I want to focus on mainly the HARDWARE. If my interest lies in the hardware of modern-day electrical devices, is it right to choose computer eng?

Physics news on Phys.org
dougouk said:
From wiki and other places I see that Electrical is more concerned with telecommunications and computer is concerned about just computer. But then there are ppl around me that say electrical eng is more concerned with the hardware of electrical devices where computer eng is more concerned with software. Is that true?

Both are true, depending on what you want to get into.

I'm looking to work with electrical devices like Ipad, tablets, mp3, laptops... and I want to focus on mainly the HARDWARE. If my interest lies in the hardware of modern-day electrical devices, is it right to choose computer eng?

What do you mean by "hardware" ? If you want to design the exterior case, you'd be better served with mechanical engineering. If you want to design the circuit board or electronics, either electrical or computer engineering would probably serve you well.

fss said:
Both are true, depending on what you want to get into.

What do you mean by "hardware" ? If you want to design the exterior case, you'd be better served with mechanical engineering. If you want to design the circuit board or electronics, either electrical or computer engineering would probably serve you well.

Either computer or electrical? Wouldn't one be better than the other?

Electrical > computer cause electrical can also do computer. From what I've heard, computer engineering is just a subset of electrical engineering. So anything computer engineering can do, electrical engineering can also do but electrical is broader. Computer is more specialized though. Do electrical engineering. It does seem more marketbale.

I think you should do electrical engineering...
Computer is engineering is part of electrical engineering or you can say its sub branch of it...

More accurately, computer engineering is a subset of electrical engineering mixed with a subset of computer science.

So when the EEs start working on power transmission and three-phase motors, the CompEs start reading about compiler design and operating systems.

(If CompE was a strict subset of EE, there would be very little point to it.)

Related to Electrical vs Computer Engineering

What is the difference between Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering?

Electrical Engineering focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It deals with the design, development, and maintenance of electrical systems, such as power generation and distribution, telecommunication systems, and electronic devices. On the other hand, Computer Engineering combines principles from both Electrical Engineering and Computer Science to design and develop computer systems and hardware components, including processors, memory devices, and input/output devices.

Which field has better job opportunities, Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering?

Both fields have excellent job opportunities, and the demand for professionals in both fields is expected to continue to grow. However, the job market for Computer Engineering may be slightly more competitive due to the rapid advancements in technology and the need for professionals with specialized skills in this field.

What skills are necessary for a career in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering?

For a career in Electrical Engineering, strong mathematical and analytical skills are essential, as well as a solid understanding of physics and electronic circuits. Additionally, problem-solving, critical thinking, and attention to detail are crucial skills for success in this field. For a career in Computer Engineering, knowledge of programming languages, computer architecture, and digital logic design is necessary. Strong problem-solving, analytical, and communication skills are also essential for success in this field.

Is it possible to pursue a career in both Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a career that combines both Electrical Engineering and Computer Engineering. Many professionals in this field work on projects that require skills from both fields, such as designing and developing computer hardware that utilizes electricity and electronic components. Some universities also offer joint Electrical and Computer Engineering programs to cater to students interested in both fields.

Which field offers a higher salary, Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering?

The salaries for professionals in both fields are generally high, and it ultimately depends on various factors such as job location, years of experience, and job position. However, in general, Computer Engineering tends to offer slightly higher salaries due to the high demand for professionals with specialized skills in this field.