Electrical signals -- How do they actually propagate in real wires?

In summary, electric signals in a wire are transferred through the movement of free electrons in the conductor. These electrons can be made to vibrate or move based on the electrical signals sent into the wire, and this movement propagates along the wire to carry the signal to the other end. In a digital computer, varying the voltage will carry information, and there are many other complex strategies used. The conductivity of the wire can affect the efficiency of the power transfer, but is not a concern in other power or signal transfer systems. Additionally, in certain cases, local charge densities can be induced in the wire, which can amplify the signal being transmitted.
David Elbert
I am an electrical engineer, and I know that my question is not directly relevant to the pure Physics but anyway, my question is that how electric signals move inside wires? how to initiate the electrical signals knowing that in order for the electron to move in a circuit, we need a continuous voltage which is not the case in the signals.

Physics news on Phys.org
David Elbert said:
I am an electrical engineer, and I know that my question is not directly relevant to the pure Physics but anyway, my question is that how electric signals move inside wires? how to initiate the electrical signals knowing that in order for the electron to move in a circuit, we need a continuous voltage which is not the case in the signals.

Why is this not relevant to "pure physics"? The largest number of practicing physicists are in the field of condensed matter/solid state physics, which deals exactly with topics that include charge transport in solids.

To answer your question, electrical signals in a wire are transferred via the presence of mobile, "free-electrons" in the conductors. These electrons can easily be made to move or vibrate based on the electrical signals that are sent into one end of the conductor. The moving electrons then affect other electrons nearby, and this causes similar movement. This propagates along the wire, translating to the electrical signal at the other end of the wire. The electrons themselves may not move very far from their average position during this transfer of signal. So naively, one can imagine that all they do is simply relaying the information along the wire.

Zz.

thanks so much for your reply .. you have answered a part of my question .. the other part is that in a digital computer it is essential to understand the electrical signal.. how to initiate the signal

is it by applying a voltage at the end of the wire for an instant?

ZapperZ said:
The largest number of practicing physicists are in the field of condensed matter/solid state physics, which deals exactly with topics that include charge transport in solids.

That's very interesting. I had not heard that before. Are there sources that publish breakdowns of the number of physicists by specialty?

David Elbert said:
is it by applying a voltage at the end of the wire for an instant?
Not just applying a voltage for an instant but varying the voltage will carry information. Binary signalling with just two levels, ternary signalling with three levels etc. And there are many other more complex strategies, many of them involving a ' carrier wave' that is modulated to increase the channel capacity further.

David Elbert said:
I am an electrical engineer
Then you have taken classes that should have explained this, no?
David Elbert said:
my question is that how electric signals move inside wires? how to initiate the electrical signals knowing that in order for the electron to move in a circuit, we need a continuous voltage which is not the case in the signals.
If the conductivity of the metal wires were infinite, I could understand some confusion. But the conductivity is finite, so the voltage drop and driving electric fields are ________? :smile:

berkeman said:
If the conductivity of the metal wires were infinite, I could understand some confusion. But the conductivity is finite, so the voltage drop and driving electric fields are ________? :smile:
You are expressing one of the most common problems that people have with 'Electricity'. (I know you have a good answer, btw :smile:) The mechanism of Power transfer through a wire is always being confused with the loss mechanism. This is not a worry for other power / signal transfer systems. When we describe a bicycle chain transferring the Power from feet to wheel, do we consider the hysteresis and friction in the chain in order to describe how the system works? Do we instantly worry about internal losses in air or solids when we think of sound being transferred? (only way down the line of reasoning) There is something about 'Electricity' that makes us think differently. We can't just be happy with the fact that very high Electric forces between particles result in 'one in one out' for charges in a wire but for some reason we worry about losses. It's only in circuits where there is a problem putting in enough copper that the resistance of the wires is relevant. If we want to manufacture a "resistance" we have to go to some trouble and find a fancy alloy (or Carbon) with enough Resistivity to give us 10kΩ in a small package.
I think it must be to do with the difficulty that people have with Potential Difference when the subject isn't taught properly or in the 'right' order.

Likes berkeman and cnh1995
Hi,

It is interesting to look at the fact that current density can be present in a wire without charge density. Basically this means you can have a constant current in a neutrally charged wire. The free electrons move down the wire and you have a direct current that can carry energy.

However, to send a signal as opposed to power a changing current is involved. What can happen then if the frequencies are right is that the free charges can build up local charge densities - the free electron density is not constant in the wire. When that happens electrostatic repulsion moves the electrons to the surface of the conductor. That is why ribbons are used in the ground planes of hf radios. So that there is a higher surface to volume ratio.

Also take a look at how the signals work in the helix of a Traveling Wave Tube Amplifier (TWTA):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traveling-wave_tube

The signal in the helix wire is actually amplified because these local charge densities (bunched up free electrons) electrostatically couple to charge densities induced in the electron beam. The acceleration of the electron beams electrons due to the anode pushes on the wires bunched up electrons and you get amplification in the wire. Just as a gun recoils there is mechanical force exerted on the structure by the amplification via action and reaction.

Another interesting thing is that electromagnetic radiation can remove energy from a wire. A co-axial metal shield is used around the wire so that the electromagnetic energy is reflected back into the conductor and you get less loss.

One other interesting thing is related to a bull whip. If you try to send energy down a line that is not homogenous under some conditions you can get the energy reflecting and the signal bounces back instead of going through. If you tie a knot in a bull whip you can generate similar reflection.

Here is a technical description of a "balanced circuit". It will go into some of the techniques used to get a signal to travel using free electrons and pairs of wires:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_circuit

Hope it helps. It is a simple problem as long as you do not need to look to close.

Related to Electrical signals -- How do they actually propagate in real wires?

1. What are electrical signals and how do they propagate in real wires?

Electrical signals are changes in the flow of electric charge, which can be transmitted through wires. These signals propagate through the wire as a result of the movement of electrons, which are negatively charged particles, through the conductive material of the wire.

2. How do electrical signals travel through wires?

Electrical signals travel through wires by creating a chain reaction of electrons. When a voltage is applied to one end of the wire, the electrons at that end start to move, pushing the electrons in the neighboring atoms to move as well. This process continues down the wire, creating a flow of electrons and thus transmitting the electrical signal.

3. What factors affect the propagation of electrical signals in wires?

The speed at which electrical signals propagate through wires is affected by several factors, including the type of material the wire is made of, the thickness and length of the wire, and the temperature of the wire. In general, thicker and shorter wires made of highly conductive materials will allow for faster propagation of electrical signals.

4. How do electrical signals maintain their strength as they propagate through wires?

As electrical signals travel through wires, they experience resistance from the material of the wire. This resistance causes some energy to be lost in the form of heat. However, electrical signals also possess the ability to regenerate themselves as they travel, which helps to maintain their strength and allows them to travel long distances without significant loss of energy.

5. Can electrical signals travel in both directions through a wire?

Yes, electrical signals can travel in both directions through a wire. This is because electrons are not limited to moving in only one direction. The direction of the signal will depend on the source of the voltage and the direction of the flow of electrons. For example, in household wiring, electricity flows from the power source to the appliance, but in electronic circuits, signals can travel in both directions depending on the design of the circuit.