Electrical Engineering - Circuits - Darlington Configuration

In summary: I don't do that because it is as if you are solving the same problem twice. I just consider the beta = infinity case and take beta into account in a separate calculation.)You have certainly done the problem correctly. There are no "other ways" to solve the problem. There is just one way.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Determine [itex]A_{V}[/itex] and [itex]A_{i}[/itex] given [itex]β_{D} = 8000[/itex] and [itex]V_{BE} = 1.6 V[/itex].

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/6272/44tv.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not exactly sure how to solve this problem. This is a problem that my professor solved in class. The only problem is that I'm having a hard time understanding how he solved. I believe he made the approximation of assuming that the two transistors are one transistor. I don't see how else one is supposed to solve this problem. Under this assumption I drew the small signal equivalent.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4683/y7v6.png

I start off by calculating [itex]I_{B}[/itex].

[itex]I_{B} = \frac{V_{CC} - V_{BE}}{R_{B} + β_{D}R_{E}} = \frac{18 V - 1.6 V}{3.3 MΩ \frac{10^{6} Ω}{MΩ} + (8000)390 Ω} ≈ 2.555x10^{-6} A[/itex]

Next I calculate [itex]I_{O}[/itex].

[itex]I_{C} = β_{D}I_{B} = 8000(2.555x10^{-6} A) = 2.04x10^{-2} A ≈ I_{E} = I_{O}[/itex]

Also [itex]V_{CC} = V_{C} = 18 V[/itex].

Next I calculate [itex]V_{O}[/itex].

[itex]V_{O} = V_{E} = V_{R_{E}} = I_{E}R_{E} = (2.04x10^{-2} A)(390 Ω) = 7.956 V[/itex]

Next I calculate [itex]V_{CE}[/itex].

[itex]V_{CE} = V_{C} - V{E} = 18 V - 7.956 V = 10.044 V[/itex]

Next I calculate [itex]r_{e}[/itex].

[itex]r_{e} = \frac{26 mV \frac{V}{10^{3} mV}}{2.04x10^{-2} A} ≈ 1.275 Ω[/itex]

Next I calculate [itex]β_{D}r_{e}[/itex].

[itex]β_{D}r_{e} = 8000(1.275 Ω) = 10200 Ω[/itex]

Next I calculate [itex]V_{βr_{e}}[/itex].

[itex]V_{βr_{e}} = I_{B}βr_{e} = (2.555x10^{-6} A)(10200 Ω) ≈ 2.606x10^{-2} V[/itex]

Next I calculate [itex]V_{I}[/itex].

[itex]V_{I} = V_{B} = V_{E} + V_{βr_{e}} = 7.956 V + 2.606x10^{-2} V ≈ 7.982 V[/itex]

Now I'm able to calculate [itex]A_{V}[/itex].

[itex]A_{V} = \frac{V_{O}}{V_{I}} = \frac{7.956 V}{7.982 V} ≈ 0.997[/itex]

Next I calculate [itex]I_{R_{B}}[/itex]

[itex]I_{R_{B}} = \frac{V_{B}}{R_{B}} = \frac{7.982 V}{3.3 MΩ \frac{10^{6} Ω}{MΩ}} ≈ 2.419x10^{-6} A[/itex]

Next I calculate [itex]I_{I}[/itex] using Kirchhoff's Current Law.

[itex]I_{I} = I_{R_{B}} + I_{B} = 2.419x10^{-6} A + 2.555x10^{-6} A = 4.974x10^{-6} A[/itex]

Finally I'm able to calculate [itex]A_{I}[/itex].

[itex]A_{I} = \frac{I_{O}}{I_{I}} = \frac{2.04x10^{-2} A}{4.974x10^{-6} A} ≈ 4104.628[/itex]

I don't know if these approximations are accurate and I'm not exactly sure how to properly draw the small signal analysis and how to solve this problem another way without being given β for each transistor. I'm concerned that my [itex]A_{V} < 1[/itex] and that my [itex]A_{I}[/itex] is so big. I would appreciate any help with this problem.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your numbers are certainly approximately correct.

For an emitter follower the voltage gain is always < 1.

Your current gain seems a bit low, but it might be spot-on. I personally don't use models and assume the base voltage does not change with input voltage, in which case the current gain = beta = 8000. So your current gain is certainly not high. (You on the other hand are not allowed to make that assumption! :frown: )

In real lfe this circuit would never work. Beta is a very unstable (with temperature) and non-repeatable parameter for any transistor from unit to unit, so the emitter voltage would vary all over the place. Typically, circuits are designed assuming beta = infinity

Anyway, you were right to assume the Darlington is a single transistor with Vbe ~ 1.6V and beta = 8000.

Related to Electrical Engineering - Circuits - Darlington Configuration

1. What is a Darlington Configuration in electrical engineering?

A Darlington Configuration is a type of circuit commonly used in electronic devices to amplify small signals. It consists of two transistors connected in a specific way to create a larger overall current gain.

2. How does a Darlington Configuration work?

In a Darlington Configuration, the first transistor amplifies the input signal and passes it on to the second transistor, which further amplifies it. This results in a larger overall gain and a higher output current.

3. What are the advantages of using a Darlington Configuration?

One advantage of a Darlington Configuration is its high current gain, which allows for smaller input signals to be amplified to larger outputs. It also has a high input impedance, which means it does not draw much current from the input source.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using a Darlington Configuration?

One potential drawback of a Darlington Configuration is its higher input voltage requirement. Since two transistors are used, the input voltage needs to be high enough to turn on both transistors, which may limit its use in some applications.

5. In what types of electronic devices is a Darlington Configuration commonly used?

Darlington Configurations are commonly used in devices that require high current amplification, such as audio amplifiers, motor drivers, and power regulators. They are also used in some types of logic gates and switching circuits.