Electrical Energy Storage, Capactor, Battery, Motor

In summary, the problem presented involves finding the height that a small electric motor can lift a 2.2 gram mass after being charged with a 1.5 V battery. Using the equation U = 1/2CV^2, the stored energy is calculated and then plugged into the equation U=mgy. However, the answers were incorrect until realizing that Joules are measured in kg, not g.
yayirunin2car
Here is my problem [the last one of a lot that I already got all right and have to turn in by midnight - so you can sense my frustration, lol.]

A .39microF capacitor is charged by a 1.5 V battery. After being charged, the capacitor is connected to a small electric motor.

a) Assuming 100% efficiency, to what height can the motor lift a 2.2 gram mass?

b) What initial voltage must the capacitor have if it is to lift a 2.2 g through a height of 1 cm?

------
What I tried doing was finding the stored energy using U = 1/2CV^2. Once I got that I plugged it into u=mgy, because for some reason I thought my 'y' would give me the height. The answers I got were wrong though, and I've been wracking my brain and reading the book trying to figure it out, but I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance for any help, :):).
Diana

Physics news on Phys.org
In principle, your method is correct (conservation of energy).

Calculator error? Units? Answer key is wrong?

Yes! Thank you! I totally forgot that Joules had 'kg' in it and not 'g.' I'm so happy now I can sleep in peace, :).

Related to Electrical Energy Storage, Capactor, Battery, Motor

1. What is electrical energy storage?

Electrical energy storage refers to the process of storing electrical energy in some form, such as chemical, mechanical, or electromagnetic, for later use.

2. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric.

3. What is a battery?

A battery is a device that converts chemical energy into electrical energy. It typically consists of one or more electrochemical cells, which contain positive and negative electrodes, separated by an electrolyte.

4. How does a motor work?

A motor is a device that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy. It typically consists of a stationary part (stator) and a rotating part (rotor), which interact with each other to create motion.

5. What are the most common types of batteries used for energy storage?

The most common types of batteries used for energy storage include lead-acid, lithium-ion, and nickel-metal hydride batteries. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and is used for different applications.