Electric potential in a sector between two planes

In summary, the conversation discusses solving Laplace's equation in polar coordinates with the boundary condition that the potential is V_0 on two conducting planes meeting at the origin at an angle \beta. The components of the electrical field near the origin are calculated, and the charge density is explained at different values of \beta. The solution for the potential is derived and it is found that for symmetry reasons, certain constants must be equal to zero. The solution is then questioned as it seems to be constant on the planes, which would result in no electric field. The possibility of a mistake in the solution is also considered.
phibonacci

Homework Statement

Two conducting planes meet at the origin at an angle [tex]\beta[/tex]. Solve Laplace's equation in polar coordinates under the boundary condition that the potential is [tex]V_0[/tex] on the planes. Calculate the components of the electrical field near the origin. Explain how the charge density behaves at the following values of [tex]\beta[/tex]: [tex]\pi/4,\pi/2,3\pi/2[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I placed the x-axis so that the angles between the x-axis and the planes are [tex]\beta/2[/tex] and [tex]-\beta/2[/tex] since this appears to give rise to the most symmetry. From what I know, the solution to the laplace equation should have the form

[tex]
\begin{equation}
V(r,\theta) = \sum (A_nr^n+B_nr^{-n})(C_nsin(n\theta)+D_ncos(n\theta)+A_0ln(\frac{r}{r_0})(C_0\theta +D_0)
\end{equation}.
[/tex]

I changed the last term by writing [tex]ln(\frac{r}{r_0})=ln(r)-ln(r_0)[/tex] and renaming some constants, so I get

[tex]
\begin{equation}
V(r,\theta)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (A_nr^n+B_nr^{-n})(C_nsin(n\theta)+D_ncos(n\theta)+ln(r)(C\theta+D)+k\theta+d
\end{equation}.
[/tex]
For symmetry reasons we should have [tex]V(r,-\theta)=V(r,\theta)[/tex] which seems to imply [tex]C_n=C=k=0[/tex].
Now the solution should be
[tex]
\begin{equation}
V(r,\theta)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (K_n r^n + L_n r^{-n})cos(n\theta)+Dln(r)+d
\end{equation}.
[/tex]
Because the potential should be continuous near the origin, we must have [tex]L_n=0=D[/tex] so the solution should be
[tex]
V(r,\theta)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} K_n r^n cos(n\theta)+d
[/tex].
But this solution seems very strange. I don't see how it could be constant on the planes, unless the potential is constant. But then there should be no electric field, so the other questions in the problem do not make sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did I make a mistake in my solution? If so, what did I do wrong? It would be much appreciated if anyone could help me out.

Related to Electric potential in a sector between two planes

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of electrical potential energy that a charged particle possesses at a specific point in space.

How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the charge of the particle at that specific point in space.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point, while electric potential energy is the total potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field.

What is a sector between two planes?

A sector between two planes is a region of space bounded by two flat surfaces, typically defined as planes, that intersect at an angle.

How does electric potential change in a sector between two planes?

The electric potential in a sector between two planes depends on the distance between the planes, the angle between them, and the distribution of charges within the sector. It can be calculated using the electric potential formula and the principles of electrostatics.