Electric Potential Energy of a Cube of 8 protons

In summary: This means that the Electric Potential Energy is equal to (√3)a*q1*q1/4*pi*epsilon_0. In summary, the Electric Potential Energy in a cube made up of 8 protons, with one at each point, is equal to (√3)a*q1*q1/4*pi*epsilon_0.
acedeno

Homework Statement

Suppose we there is a cube (a x a x a) made up of 8 protons. 1 at each point
What is the Electric Potential Energy

Homework Equations

U=q1*q1/4*pi*epsilon_0*r

The Attempt at a Solution

*U12 = Potential Energy to bring 2 to 1*
I'm aware of how to do the question but I'm not sure if I'm expressing it correctly. Remember that the potential energy is the work done configure this system in space.
W1=0
W2=U12
W3=U12+U13
W4=W3+U14
W5=W4+U15
W6=W5+U16
W7=W6+U17
W8=W7+U18

Then the Electric Potential Energy would be = Wtotal = W1+W2 . . . + W8

I am also aware that when I show my equation fully that some of the distances will be sqrt(2a^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
acedeno said:

Homework Statement

Suppose we there is a cube (a x a x a) made up of 8 protons. 1 at each point
What is the Electric Potential Energy

Homework Equations

U=q1*q1/4*pi*epsilon_0*r

The Attempt at a Solution

*U12 = Potential Energy to bring 2 to 1*
I'm aware of how to do the question but I'm not sure if I'm expressing it correctly. Remember that the potential energy is the work done configure this system in space.
W1=0
W2=U12
W3=U12+U13
The work to bring in the 3rd charge is U13 + U23
W4=W3+U14
And for the 4th charge it's U14 + U24 + U34
W5=W4+U15
W6=W5+U16
W7=W6+U17
W8=W7+U18

Then the Electric Potential Energy would be = Wtotal = W1+W2 . . . + W8
Yes.
I am also aware that when I show my equation fully that some of the distances will be sqrt(2a^2)

Thanks a lot! That really helps!

Some pairs of protons have a separation distance of (√3)a .

and some will be sqrt(3a^2).

Your attempt at a solution is on the right track. To calculate the electric potential energy of a cube of 8 protons, we first need to determine the distance between each proton. Since the cube has a side length of "a", the distance between each proton will be either sqrt(2a^2) or sqrt(3a^2), depending on the specific configuration.

Next, we can use the formula U=q1*q2/4*pi*epsilon_0*r to calculate the potential energy between each pair of protons. We can then add up all of these potential energies to get the total electric potential energy of the cube.

In this case, since we have 8 protons, we will have 28 total pairs (since we don't need to calculate the potential energy between a proton and itself). So, the final equation would be:

U = U12 + U13 + U14 + U15 + U16 + U17 + U18 + U23 + U24 + U25 + U26 + U27 + U28 + U34 + U35 + U36 + U37 + U38 + U45 + U46 + U47 + U48 + U56 + U57 + U58 + U67 + U68 + U78

Note that this may seem like a lot of calculations, but since we are dealing with protons, all of the charges are the same (q1 = q2 = 1.6 x 10^-19 C), and we can simplify the equation to:

U = (1.6 x 10^-19 C)^2 * (1/4*pi*epsilon_0) * (U12 + U13 + U14 + U15 + U16 + U17 + U18 + U23 + U24 + U25 + U26 + U27 + U28 + U34 + U35 + U36 + U37 + U38 + U45 + U46 + U47 + U48 + U56 + U57 + U58 + U67 + U68 + U78)

Overall, the electric potential energy of this cube of 8 protons will be a large positive value, as the protons repel each other due to their positive charges.

Related to Electric Potential Energy of a Cube of 8 protons

1. What is the electric potential energy of a cube of 8 protons?

The electric potential energy of a cube of 8 protons is the amount of energy required to bring the protons together from an infinite distance apart. It is also known as the potential energy of a system of charges.

2. How is the electric potential energy of a cube of 8 protons calculated?

The electric potential energy of a cube of 8 protons can be calculated using the formula U = kQ2/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of one proton, and r is the distance between the protons.

3. What is the unit of measurement for electric potential energy?

The unit of measurement for electric potential energy is joules (J), which is the same unit used for other forms of energy such as kinetic energy and gravitational potential energy.

4. How does the electric potential energy of a cube of 8 protons change with distance?

The electric potential energy of a cube of 8 protons is directly proportional to the distance between the protons. This means that as the distance increases, the potential energy decreases, and vice versa.

5. Can the electric potential energy of a cube of 8 protons be negative?

Yes, the electric potential energy of a cube of 8 protons can be negative. This can happen if the protons are brought together from an initial distance that is greater than infinity, as the potential energy would then be negative due to the work done to bring them together.