Electric Potential Difference homework

In summary: This equals 340V. Then, using the equation KE=q(VA-VB), we can calculate the kinetic energy of the alpha-particle to be 680 eV. This is because 1V = 1eV/(1.6*10^-19 C), so the final answer is 680 eV. In summary, the alpha-particle has a kinetic energy of 680 eV as it accelerates from point A (+220 V) to point B (-120 V).
spoonthrower
Point A is at a potential of +220 V, and point B is at a potential of -120 V. An alpha-particle is a helium nucleus that contains two protons and two neutrons; the neutrons are electrically neutral. An alpha-particle starts from rest at A and accelerates toward B. When the alpha-particle arrives at B, what kinetic energy (in electron volts) does it have? Plz help. thanks.

Here are my thoughts so far... i know the mass of the alpha particle is 4 amu. The charge of the alpha particle is 2e. 6.25*10^18=1e so the charge of the alpha particle is 3.2*10^-19 C. I think i should use the following equation to solve this problem: KE=q(VA-VB). this will give me the answer in volts, however i need eV so 1V=1eV/(1.6*10^-19 C) When i plug in these numbers i am not getting the right answer. please let me know what i am doing wrong. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you want the answer in eV, no point in converting charge to Coulombs (and back). Your equation is correct: KE=q(VA-VB). What's q? What's Va-Vb?

would q be equal to 2 since their are 2 e's in an alpha particle? And VA=220 and VB=-120 so KE=2(220-120)? thanks.

Almost.

q = 2e. Va = 220V; Vb = -120V; so, Va-Vb = (220V) - (-120V).

Related to Electric Potential Difference homework

1. What is electric potential difference?

Electric potential difference, also known as voltage, is the measure of the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V) and is the force that drives electric charges to move from one point to another.

2. How is electric potential difference calculated?

Electric potential difference is calculated by dividing the work done in moving a charge between two points by the value of the charge. In equation form, it is written as V = W/Q, where V is the potential difference, W is the work done, and Q is the charge.

3. What is the unit of electric potential difference?

The unit of electric potential difference is the volt (V). It can also be expressed in other units such as joules per coulomb (J/C) or newtons per coulomb (N/C).

4. How does electric potential difference affect the flow of electricity?

Electric potential difference is what causes electricity to flow through a circuit. A higher potential difference means that there is a greater force driving the charges, resulting in a larger flow of electricity. Conversely, a lower potential difference will result in a smaller flow of electricity.

5. What factors affect electric potential difference?

Electric potential difference is affected by the amount of charge, the distance between the charges, and the medium through which the charges are traveling. It is also affected by the presence of resistors or other components in a circuit that can change the flow of electricity.