Electric Potential and Energy on a Circular Arc?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the electric potential and potential energy at the center of a circular arc due to three point charges. The correct process involves calculating the potential due to each charge separately and adding them up, using the formula q/4πε0r. The answer is approximately 900V. Some of the powers of 10 may have been written incorrectly in the conversation.
Lolagoeslala

Homework Statement

three point charges are located on a circular arc as shown:
a) find the electric potential at the centre of the arc (point P)
b) find the electric potential energy of a 25 pC point charge placed at P

Diagram: [ r= 4 cm = 0.04 m]

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g356/wildpisces/Physics/23-p-023-alt.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

a) so i know the verticle components of the tension of Q1 and Q3 will cancel out therefore.

Q1 = (3 x 10^-9)(cos30)
Q1 = 2.598 x 10^-9 C

Q3 = (3 x 10^-9)(cos30)
Q3 = 2.598 x 10^-9 C

Q2 = -2 x 10^-9 C

Qtot= -2 x 10^-9 C + 2.598 x 10^-9 C + 2.598 x 10^-9 C
Qtot= 3.18 x 10^-9 C

Vp = KQtot/d
Vp = (9x10^-9 NM^2/c^2)(3.18 x 10^-9 C)/(0.04m)
Vp = 715.5 v

b) Eel = + K Qtot q / d
Eel = (9x10^-9 NM^2/c^2)(3.18 x 10^-9 C)(25x 10^12 C)/(0.04m)
Eel = + 17 nJ

so it will take 17 x 10^-9 to pull the P point?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lolagoeslala said:
a) so i know the verticle components of the tension of Q1 and Q3 will cancel out therefore.
The question is about potential (a scalar), not field. There's no cancelling out of components.

haruspex said:
The question is about potential (a scalar), not field. There's no cancelling out of components.

ok i see... because potential is scaler
but is my process. correct..
i took this up with my tutor...
he gave me this process..
but i just want to make sure. I am doing it okay..

Lolagoeslala said:
but is my process. correct..
No, it's much easier. Just calculate the potential due to each charge separately (q/4πε0r) and add them up. Since the r's are all the same it's particularly easy.
(I make the answer about 900V.)
Some of the signs look wrong on your powers of 10, but they don't seem to have worked through into your answers, so I'm guessing that's an error in writing the post.

haruspex said:
No, it's much easier. Just calculate the potential due to each charge separately (q/4πε0r) and add them up. Since the r's are all the same it's particularly easy.
(I make the answer about 900V.)
Some of the signs look wrong on your powers of 10, but they don't seem to have worked through into your answers, so I'm guessing that's an error in writing the post.

so, my process is not correct?
and u need to use the equation
What is that equation .. i have never seen that before...

Lolagoeslala said:
so, my process is not correct?
and u need to use the equation
What is that equation .. i have never seen that before...
[itex]\displaystyle\frac{q}{4\pi\varepsilon_0 r}\ \ [/itex] is the same as [itex]\displaystyle \ \ k\frac{q}{r}\ \ [/itex] and it's not an equation (there's no equal sign), it's a mathematical expression or formula.

Related to Electric Potential and Energy on a Circular Arc?

1. What is electric potential difference?

Electric potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy per unit charge between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is electric potential difference related to electric field?

Electric potential difference is directly proportional to electric field strength. This means that as the electric field increases, the potential difference also increases.

3. How do you calculate electric potential difference?

Electric potential difference can be calculated using the equation V = W/Q, where V is the potential difference, W is the work done on a charge, and Q is the amount of charge. It can also be calculated using the equation V = Ed, where E is the electric field strength and d is the distance between two points.

4. What is the unit of electric potential difference?

The unit of electric potential difference is volts (V), which is equivalent to joules per coulomb (J/C).

5. What is the difference between electric potential difference and electric potential?

Electric potential difference (or voltage) is a measure of the difference in electric potential energy per unit charge between two points, while electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy at a single point in an electric field. In other words, electric potential difference is the difference in potential between two points, while electric potential is the potential at a specific point.