Electric Potential alpha particles

In summary, The conversation discusses the use of the conservation of energy approach to solve for the kinetic energy of an alpha particle traveling from point A at +300 V to point B at -140 V. The correct solution is obtained by dividing the calculated value by the charge of a proton, resulting in a final answer of 880 eV.
tigerguy
Hi, I'm stuck on the following question. Maybe someone can point out where I'm going wrong.

Point A is at a potential of +300 V, and point B is at a potential of -140 V. An alpha particle is a helium nucleus that contains two protons and two neutrons; the neutrons are electrically neutral. An alpha particle starts from rest at A and accelerates toward B. When the alpha particle arrives at B, what kinetic energy (in electron volts) does it have?

My steps for this solution was to use the conservation of energy approach. So I said that the EPEa = EPEb + KE. Upon doing that, I solved this to qVa-qVb = 1/2mv^2, where q = 2 times the charge of a proton, or 3.20 x 10^-19. When I solved for the Kinetic Energy, I get 1.41 x 10^-16, which is wrong.

Are my units wrong (the answer has to be in eV), or am I missing a step?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Disregard my question, I've managed to solve this. I needed to divide by 1.60E-19, to get a final answer of 880 eV.

Your approach using the conservation of energy is correct. However, there are a few things that need to be taken into consideration in your calculation.

Firstly, the potential difference between points A and B should be calculated as Vb - Va, not the other way around. This will give a negative value for the potential difference, which is the correct sign for the alpha particle to accelerate towards the negative potential.

Secondly, when using the equation qΔV = 1/2mv^2, the charge q should be the charge of the alpha particle, which is twice the charge of a proton (as you correctly stated). However, the mass m should be the mass of the alpha particle, which is 4 times the mass of a proton (since an alpha particle contains 2 protons and 2 neutrons). This will give a higher value for the kinetic energy.

Lastly, when solving for kinetic energy, the units for the potential difference should be in joules (J) and not in electron volts (eV). To convert from joules to eV, you can use the conversion factor 1 eV = 1.602 x 10^-19 J.

Taking all of these into consideration, the correct calculation should be:

qΔV = 1/2mv^2
(2 x 3.20 x 10^-19 C)(-440 V) = 1/2(4 x 1.67 x 10^-27 kg)v^2
-7.04 x 10^-16 J = 3.34 x 10^-27 kg v^2
v^2 = (2.11 x 10^11 m/s)^2
v = 4.59 x 10^5 m/s

To convert this velocity to eV, we can use the equation:

1/2mv^2 = KE
1/2(4 x 1.67 x 10^-27 kg)(4.59 x 10^5 m/s)^2 = 3.34 x 10^-16 J
KE = 2.10 x 10^-16 J
KE = 1.31 x 10^3 eV

Therefore, the kinetic energy of the alpha particle when it arrives at point B is 1.31 x 10^3 eV. I hope this helps in understanding and correcting your calculation.

Related to Electric Potential alpha particles

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy of a charged particle in an electric field. It is also known as voltage and is measured in volts.

2. How are alpha particles affected by electric potential?

Alpha particles are positively charged particles that can be accelerated or decelerated by electric potential. They will move towards areas of lower potential and away from areas of higher potential.

3. What is the relationship between electric potential and alpha particles?

The electric potential at a point in an electric field is directly proportional to the energy that an alpha particle would gain or lose if it were placed at that point. This is known as the electric potential energy of the alpha particle.

4. What is the unit of measurement for electric potential?

The standard unit of measurement for electric potential is the volt (V). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as joules per coulomb (J/C) or electron volts (eV).

5. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the work done in moving a charge through an electric field by the amount of charge. It can also be calculated by multiplying the electric field strength by the distance between two points in the field.