Electric Point Charge and Directional Force

In summary, the problem involves three charged particles placed at the corners of an equilateral triangle and the task is to calculate the magnitude and direction of the net force on each particle due to the other two. The charges are Q1 = 7.4μC, Q2 = -8.0μC, and Q3 = -5.7μC, and the equation F=kqQ/r^2 is used to find the force. The direction of the force is determined by the signs of the charges, with like charges repelling and opposite charges attracting. To find the net force, the force vectors are added together.
quibble42

Homework Statement

Three charged particles are placed at the corners of an equilateral triangle of side 1.20 m. The charges are Q1 = 7.4μC , Q2 = -8.0μC , and Q3 = -5.7μC .
Calculate the magnitude of the net force on each due to the other two.
(The answer is prompted to be in Newtons).
Calculate the direction of the net force on each due to the other two.
(counterclockwise from the +x axis, which is shown as running along the bottom of the triangle, with the positive charge on top)

Homework Equations

F=kqQ/r^2
sin(θ)=O/H or knowledge that equilateral triangle angles are all 60 degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

My first attempt was to use kqQ/r^2 to find the force between Q1 (+) and Q2(-), then add it to the force between Q1 and Q3(-). This would be my answer for the charge on Q1. I did this same addition for the Q2 and Q3 charges as well.
I first changed μC to C and radius was already in meters, so I left it. I did not change "k".
For Q1 force I got .63N, for Q2 I got .655N, for Q3 I got .549N.
This wasn't right.
Then, I thought, wait a minute, these charges are different signs, maybe some kind of subtraction is required. My second attempt was based on this and instead of adding all the forces I subtracted the charges with the same sign. (for example, Q2 was now F(Q1)-F(Q3), but Q1 was =F(Q2)+F(Q3)). This was also wrong. I think I am messing up the signs.
As for the direction, I have a notion that it should be vector addition, but without the signs (or direction) of the force from step 1 I'm having trouble answering it.

Physics news on Phys.org
You use the signs of the charges to determine the direction of the forces. Like charges repel; opposite charges attract. Once you have the proper force vectors, you add them.

Related to Electric Point Charge and Directional Force

1. What is an electric point charge?

An electric point charge is a fundamental unit of electric charge that is usually represented by the symbol "q". It is a small particle with a specific amount of electric charge, either positive or negative.

2. How is the directional force of an electric point charge determined?

The directional force of an electric point charge is determined by the magnitude and direction of the electric field created by the charge. The force is directly proportional to the magnitude of the electric field and the charge of the particle, and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges.

3. Can an electric point charge exert a force on another electric point charge?

Yes, electric point charges can exert a force on each other. This force is called the electrostatic force and it follows the principles of Coulomb's law. The force is attractive between opposite charges and repulsive between like charges.

4. What is the SI unit of electric point charge?

The SI unit of electric point charge is the coulomb (C). One coulomb is equivalent to the charge of approximately 6.24 x 10^18 electrons or protons.

5. How does the direction of an electric field relate to the direction of the electric point charge?

The direction of an electric field is always directed towards the direction of the force that a positive charge would experience if placed in the field. Therefore, the direction of the electric field and the direction of the electric point charge are always the same.