Electric / magnetic field transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses tensors and Lorentz transformations, specifically the transformation of the electromagnetic field tensor under a rotation around the z-axis. The transformation is correctly written as R^\mu_\nu = \begin{pmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & \cos\theta & -\sin\theta & 0 \\ 0 & \sin\theta & \cos\theta & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \\ \end{pmatrix}, and it is shown that the components of the electric and magnetic fields transform like vectors. There is a brief discussion about the difference between vectors and pseudo-vectors,
CompuChip
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Hi. I thought I had tensors and Lorentz transformations under control, but now I'm in doubt again.

For example, consider the electromagnetic field tensor
[tex] F_{\mu\nu} = \begin{pmatrix}
0 & -E_1 & -E_2 & -E_3 \\
E_1 & 0 & B_3 & -B_2 \\
E_2 & -B_3 & 0 & B_1 \\
E_3 & B_2 & -B_1 & 0 \\
\end{pmatrix}
\qquad\text{ so }
F^{\mu\nu} = \begin{pmatrix}
0 & E_1 & E_2 & E_3 \\
-E_1 & 0 & B_3 & -B_2 \\
-E_2 & -B_3 & 0 & B_1 \\
-E_3 & B_2 & -B_1 & 0 \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
in the (-1, 1, 1, 1) metric.

Now we apply a Lorentz transformation, and to keep it simple we take a (counter clockwise) rotation around an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] about the [itex]z[/itex]-axis. Now I thought I'd write this as
[tex] R^\mu_\nu = \begin{pmatrix}
1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & \cos\theta & -\sin\theta & 0 \\
0 & \sin\theta & \cos\theta & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
as it works on a vector and produces a vector ([tex](v')^\mu = R^\mu_\nu v^\nu[/tex]).
Did I get this right? In this case wrong placement of the indices doesn't introduce errors yet, as far as I can see, but this will generally not be the case for boosts (which do not have just zeros in the first column and row).

Now the components of the electric field [itex]E_i = F_{i0}[/itex] transform as
[tex] E_i' = F'_{i0} = R_i^\mu R_0^\nu F_{\mu\nu}. [/tex]
Working out the transformation yields
[tex] E_1' = E_1 \cos\theta - E_2 \sin \theta; \quad
E_2' = E_1 \sin\theta + E_2 \cos \theta; \quad
E_3' = E_3,
[/tex]
which can be written in vector notation as
[tex] \vec E' = \mat R \vec E
\qquad\text{ where }
\mat R = \begin{pmatrix}
\cos\theta & -\sin\theta & 0 \\
\sin\theta & \cos\theta & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 \\
\end{pmatrix},
[/tex]
which is, I think, the transformation rule for a vector hence what one would expect.

Similarly, the components of the magnetic field are [itex]B_i = \frac12 \epsilon_{ijk} F^{jk}[/itex].
As raising both the indices on [itex]F_{\mu\nu}[/itex] does not affect the components in the
lower right [itex]3 \times 3[/itex] block -- that is, [itex]F_{ij} = F^{ij}[/itex] for [itex]i, j = 1, 2, 3[/itex] --
we can calculate
[tex] B_i' = \frac12 \epsilon_{ijk} F'^{jk} = \frac12 \epsilon_{ijk} R^j_\mu R^k_\nu F^{\mu\nu}. [/tex]
Explicit calculation yields
[tex] B_1' = B_1 \cos\theta - B_2 \sin\theta; \quad
B_2' = B_1 \sin\theta + B_2 \cos\theta; \quad
B_3' = B_3,
[/tex]
which is exactly the same as the electric field. Yet the magnetic field is not a vector, but a pseudo-vector; therefore I doubt my answer.

I'd like to get this right, especially with the indices etc., before I proceed to boosts, e.g.
[tex] R^\mu_\nu \to \Lambda^\mu_\nu = \begin{pmatrix}
\cosh\theta & \sinh\theta & 0 & 0 \\
\sinh\theta & \cosh\theta & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \\
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
CompuChip said:
which is exactly the same as the electric field. Yet the magnetic field is not a vector, but a pseudo-vector; therefore I doubt my answer.

Even though it is a pseudo-vector, it is supposed to transform like a vector in rotations. You should check space reflections to see if you get the desired difference in the transformation of E and B.

Using GRtensor, I take

[tex]
F_{ab} =\left[ \begin {array}{cccc} 0&-{\it Ex}&-{\it Ey}&-{\it Ez}\\\noalign{\medskip}{\it Ex}&0&{\it Bz}&-{\it By}\\\noalign{\medskip}{
\it Ey}&-{\it Bz}&0&{\it Bx}\\\noalign{\medskip}{\it Ez}&{\it By}&-{
\it Bx}&0\end {array} \right]
[/tex]

and
[tex]
L^a{}_b = \left[ \begin {array}{cccc} 1&0&0&0\\\noalign{\medskip}0&\cos \left( \theta \right) &-\sin \left( \theta \right) &0\\\noalign{\medskip}0&
\sin \left( \theta \right) &\cos \left( \theta \right) &0
\\\noalign{\medskip}0&0&0&1\end {array} \right]
[/tex]

to compute

[tex]
F^{\prime}_{ab} = F_{cd} L^c{}_a L^d{}_b[/tex]

which is

[tex]
\left[ \begin {array}{cccc} 0&-{\it Ex}\,\cos \left( \theta \right) -{\it Ey}\,\sin \left( \theta \right) &{\it Ex}\,\sin \left( \theta
\right) -{\it Ey}\,\cos \left( \theta \right) &-{\it Ez}
\\\noalign{\medskip}{\it Ex}\,\cos \left( \theta \right) +{\it Ey}\,
\sin \left( \theta \right) &0&{\it Bz}\, \left( \cos \left( \theta
\right) \right) ^{2}+{\it Bz}\, \left( \sin \left( \theta \right)
\right) ^{2}&-{\it By}\,\cos \left( \theta \right) +{\it Bx}\,\sin
\left( \theta \right) \\\noalign{\medskip}-{\it Ex}\,\sin \left(
\theta \right) +{\it Ey}\,\cos \left( \theta \right) &-{\it Bz}\,
\left( \sin \left( \theta \right) \right) ^{2}-{\it Bz}\, \left(
\cos \left( \theta \right) \right) ^{2}&0&{\it By}\,\sin \left(
\theta \right) +{\it Bx}\,\cos \left( \theta \right)
\\\noalign{\medskip}{\it Ez}&{\it By}\,\cos \left( \theta \right) -{
\it Bx}\,\sin \left( \theta \right) &-{\it By}\,\sin \left( \theta
\right) -{\it Bx}\,\cos \left( \theta \right) &0\end {array} \right]
[/tex]

I didn't think this quite matched some of the signs in your result, but I thought it might be helpful.

Last edited:
jostpuur, of course you are right about the (pseudo)-vector remark. Thanks.

pervect: I think you calculated [itex]L^T F L[/itex] whereas I did [itex]L F L^T[/itex]. One of us should be wrong then (and it's probably me), which would mean I messed up the indices... just what I was afraid of.

[edit]I found it, there was an error in my Mathematica code (it read
Code:
e[i_] := Sum[R[[i, \[Mu]]] R[[1, \[Nu]]] F[[\[Mu], \[Nu]]], {\[Mu], 1, 4}, {\[Nu], 1, 4}]
instead of
Code:
e[i_] := Sum[R[[\[Mu], i]] R[[\[Nu], 1]] F[[\[Mu], \[Nu]]], {\[Mu], 1, 4}, {\[Nu], 1, 4}]
-- note the indices of the rotation matrix.
So apparently we agree now.[/edit].

Last edited:

Related to Electric / magnetic field transformations

1. What is an electric/magnetic field transformation?

An electric/magnetic field transformation is the change in the strength or direction of an electric or magnetic field caused by various factors such as movement, electrical currents, and materials. These transformations occur naturally in the environment and can also be intentionally induced for practical purposes.

2. How do electric/magnetic fields interact with each other?

Electric and magnetic fields are closely related and can interact with each other. An electric field can induce a magnetic field, and a changing magnetic field can produce an electric field. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for many modern technologies, such as generators and transformers.

3. Can electric/magnetic fields be shielded?

Yes, electric and magnetic fields can be shielded using materials such as conductors or ferromagnetic materials. These materials can redirect or absorb the electric or magnetic fields, preventing them from reaching a certain area. This is often used in electronics to protect sensitive components from interference.

4. How do electric/magnetic fields affect living organisms?

Electric and magnetic fields can have both positive and negative effects on living organisms. They are essential for the functioning of our nervous system and can also be used in medical treatments such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). However, high levels of exposure to electric and magnetic fields can also have harmful effects on our health, such as increasing the risk of cancer.

5. How are electric/magnetic fields measured?

Electric and magnetic fields can be measured using specialized equipment such as gaussmeters or electric field sensors. These devices detect the strength and direction of the fields and provide numerical readings in units such as volts per meter or milligauss. The measurements can then be used to assess the potential effects of the fields and determine if any precautions need to be taken.