Electric Force on Point Charges

In summary, the electric force on a positive charge Q_1 is maximized when it is placed at point P on the dashed line a distance y above point P.
joemama69

Homework Statement

Two identical positive point charges Q are nailed down a distance 2D apart. Point P is midway between the two charges as shwon in the diagram. A dashed line is vertical i.e. perpendiculat to an imaginary line connecting the two charges a distance D from both charges. Determine the magnitude and direction of the electric force acting on a positive charge Q_1 placed at the following locations.

a) at point p

b) on the dashed line a distance y above point p

c) where on the dashed line should Q_1 be placed so that if expierences the biggest force.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a) force at point p

welp i believe that both forces are pushing against each other and because the point is in the center of the two charges that the two forces cancel out so

F = F-F = 0

b) force a distance y above point p

F = k(2Q)/r^2 where r^2 = D^2 + y^2

F = (1.38X10^-23)(2Q)/(D^2 + y^2) = (2.76X10^-23)Q/(D^2 + y^2)

c) find y so F is maximized so its beena while since i took calculus but i believe i have to take there derivitive of F interms of y, set it to 0, and check that its a maximum

also because F is a a quotient i remembered this rhym for the derivitive, Low D High minus High D Low over the square below... which means you take the bottom times the derivitive of the top minus the top times the derivitive of the bottom, all over the bottom squared

F'(y) = ((D^2 + y^2)(0) - (2.76X10^-23)Q(2y))/((D^2 + y^2)^2) = -(2.76X10^-23)2Qy/((D^2 + y^2)^2

how can i set this to 0 with all the unknown variables.

it just occurred to me that F is directly proportional to 1/r^2 so can i simply use that and ignore the other constants k & Q

Attachments

• Microsoft PowerPoint - Presentation1.pdf
    12.6 KB · Views: 233
Physics news on Phys.org
part (a) in the question is correct ..

for part (b) and (c) I suggest you take another approach ..

you know that F = q*E (where q is the charge, and E is the electric field) ..

hint: before you find the force, find the electric field acting at the points for part(b) and (c).. starting with part(b) take in consideration that the electric field is a vector and it can be expressed in x and y components .. things will get easier this way ..

so E will then be the sum of the two fields produced by the two positive charges Q

E = kQ [tex]\vec{r_1}[/tex]/r2 + kQ [tex]\vec{r_2}[/tex]/r2 = (kQ/r2) [(D[tex]\vec{x}[/tex] + y[tex]\vec{j}[/tex]) + (-D[tex]\vec{x}[/tex] + y[tex]\vec{j}[/tex])) = (kQ/r2) (2y[tex]\vec{j}[/tex])

Last edited:
good, the x component cancels .. Go on :)

so do i just leave my answer like that and plug it into the force equatin

F = E/q = (kQ/r2)(2yj)

so to find the max i integrate F interms of y, shuld i put r2 = D2 + y2

joemama69 said:
so do i just leave my answer like that and plug it into the force equatin

F = E/q = (kQ/r2)(2yj)

so to find the max i integrate F interms of y, shuld i put r2 = D2 + y2

would you please explain why the "y" there .. why didnt you write E as Ex i + Ey j which is equal to Ecos(theta) i + Esin(theta) j ..

because the y is the vertical distance it is away from the other charges... it looks like you went a step further and denoted it as y = sin(theta)

So is the force then... F = 2Esin(theta) j = 2kQsin(theta)/r2 and i will differentiate interms of theta. do i have to change the r^2 into an element of theta as well

Last edited:
that would be true if the two points are exactly at the point p, but in part b you can not use y to be the distance between the charge and the point where you want to find the electric field ..

thats what you have to use ..

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/6738/62871910.jpg

if you disagree with that, please say why ..

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Electric Force on Point Charges

What is the concept of force on point charges?

The concept of force on point charges is based on the principle that opposite charges attract each other, while like charges repel each other. This force is known as the electrostatic force and it is a fundamental force of nature that helps us understand the behavior of charged particles.

How is the force on point charges calculated?

The force on point charges can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. The formula for calculating the force is F = (k * q1 * q2) / r2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two point charges, and r is the distance between them.

How does the distance between two charges affect the force on them?

The force between two point charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between two charges increases, the force between them decreases. In other words, the farther apart the charges are, the weaker the force between them will be.

What is the direction of the force on point charges?

The force on point charges is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The direction of the force is along the line joining the two charges and it is either attractive or repulsive depending on the charges. If the charges are opposite, the force will be attractive and if they are like charges, the force will be repulsive.

What is the unit of force on point charges?

The unit of force on point charges is Newton (N). It is a derived unit in the International System of Units (SI) and it is defined as the force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram by one meter per second squared. In the context of point charges, the force is usually very small and is measured in micro-Newtons (μN) or pico-Newtons (pN).