Electric force multiple choice

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a square and three fixed point charges, with a fourth point charge placed at one of the corners. The resulting net electric force is directed towards one of the fixed charges. The solution involves using trigonometry to calculate the components of the force. There may be some mistakes in the question itself, but the final answer is determined to be q=1/9 Q.
Clara Chung

Homework Statement

PQRS is a square. Three point charges -Q, +Q and -3Q are fixed at P, Q and S respectively as shown.

A point charge q is then placed at R and it experiences a net electric force towards S. Which of the following is equal to q?

photo :
http://s613.photobucket.com/user/Yan_Wa_Chung/media/01_zps421rebzc.png.html

Homework Equations

F=kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

in any kind of calculation, Q and q are canceled out and undetermined ,ie : (k1) (q) (Q) / (r1)^2 = (k2) (q) (Q) / (r2)^2, (turn force PR to vertical and horizontal component cancel the vertical component with force QR) . I have no idea on the question or maybe the question itself has mistakes ?The right answer is q=1/9 Q.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think any value of q (+ve) will do since the distances are fixed.

Last edited:
Likes Clara Chung
cnh1995 said:
Vertical component of force PR cancels force QR. Horizontal component of force PR and force SR add up along SR and hence, the resultantant is directed towards S. All you need to do is use trigonometry to calculate the respective components, with only one unknown q. How is q undetermined?
But suppose vertical component of force PR is ##-cos(\pi/4)kQq/r_1^2## so since it is canceled by force QR we 'll have
##-cos(\pi/4)kQq/r_1^2+kQq/r_2^2=0##. Isnt the product Qq simplified by this last equation?

Likes Clara Chung
Delta² said:
But suppose vertical component of force PR is ##-cos(\pi/4)kQq/r_1^2## so since it is canceled by force QR we 'll have
##-cos(\pi/4)kQq/r_1^2+kQq/r_2^2=0##. Isnt the product Qq simplified by this last equation?
Yes. I was about to edit..

Likes Delta2
Thanks a lot for answering this question. I think the question may have mistakes itself. I hope I can get some help with the last stupid question that I've posted too. Thanks.

Related to Electric force multiple choice

1. What is electric force?

Electric force is a physical phenomenon that results from the interaction between two charged objects. It is a force that can either attract or repel objects depending on the type of charge they possess.

2. How is electric force measured?

Electric force is measured in units of Newtons (N) using a device called an electrostatic force sensor. This device measures the amount of force between two charged objects and can also determine the direction of the force.

3. What factors affect the strength of electric force?

The strength of electric force is affected by two main factors: the magnitude of the charges and the distance between the charged objects. The greater the magnitude of the charges and the closer the objects are to each other, the stronger the electric force will be.

4. What is the difference between electric force and magnetic force?

Electric force and magnetic force are both forms of electromagnetic force, but they have different characteristics. Electric force is caused by the interaction between two charged objects, while magnetic force is caused by the movement of electric charges. Additionally, electric force can either attract or repel objects, while magnetic force only attracts objects.

5. How does the direction of electric force change with different charges?

The direction of electric force depends on the type of charge the objects possess. Like charges (positive-positive or negative-negative) will repel each other, while opposite charges (positive-negative) will attract each other.