Electric flux charge through a cube

In summary, the electric flux through each face of a 4.50m x 4.50m x 4.50m cube is 130Nm^2/C and to find the total charge inside the cube, you would multiply the given flux by 6 and then multiply by ε. This is because the net flux through an entire object is the sum of the net fluxes through the component surfaces and this property has useful applications in electrostatics.
ZEli

Homework Statement

The electric flux through each face of a 4.50m x 4.50m x 4.50m cube is 130Nm^2/C .
How much charge is inside the cube?

Homework Equations

Electric Flux = E*A = Qin/ε

The Attempt at a Solution

I know electric flux is given, 130Nm^2/C and I'm trying to solve for Qin. So, I plug those numbers into the equation and get
130Nm^2/C = Qin/ε
I end up with Qin = 1.1505 * 10^-9 C, but when I type this into the answer, it doesn't work!
I don't see what I'm doing wrong!:(

Physics news on Phys.org
You're looking for the total flux through the faces of the cube. If the flux was only through one face, you'd be correct, but there are six faces of the cube that have the same flux through it.

Ohhhhh, I see. So since there are 6 faces of the cube, I would multiply the given flux by 6 and then multiply by ε.

Got the right answer! Thanks!

Yep. Your net flux through an entire object is just the sum of the net fluxes through the component surfaces. This holds true for any Gaussian surface.

As it turns out, in fact, that combination of properties (that the net flux through a surface is dependent only on the enclosed charge and that any Gaussian surface that encloses exactly the same amount of charge will exhibit exactly the same flux) will prove incredibly useful in your future studies! It has some very helpful applications in electrostatics.

Related to Electric flux charge through a cube

1. What is electric flux charge through a cube?

Electric flux charge through a cube is a measure of the amount of electric field passing through the surface of a cube. It is calculated by multiplying the electric field strength by the surface area of the cube.

2. How is electric flux charge through a cube calculated?

The electric flux charge through a cube is calculated by using the formula Φ = E x A, where Φ is the electric flux, E is the electric field strength, and A is the surface area of the cube.

3. What is the unit of electric flux charge through a cube?

The unit of electric flux charge through a cube is Newton-meter squared per coulomb (N·m²/C).

4. What factors affect the electric flux charge through a cube?

The electric flux charge through a cube is affected by the strength of the electric field, the surface area of the cube, and the angle between the electric field and the surface of the cube.

5. How is the direction of electric flux charge through a cube determined?

The direction of electric flux charge through a cube is determined by the direction of the electric field and the orientation of the cube. The flux is considered positive if the electric field is perpendicular to the surface of the cube, and negative if the electric field is parallel to the surface.