Electric Flux and Charges on the Surface of a Sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses a question from the 1982 AP Physics C E&M Free Response exam regarding the electric flux through a closed surface. The question involves a sphere with a charge -q in the interior and two charges q on the surface. The solution provided by the exam creators considers the charges on the surface to be "enclosed" by the sphere, while the person discussing the question believes the flux should be undefined. The conversation ends with a clarification that the question was indeed asking for the electric flux through the sphere itself.
lugita15

Homework Statement

In the interior of a sphere is a charge -q. On the surface of the sphere are two charges, each q, as shown in this figure:
1982 Physics C.JPG

Homework Equations

Electric Flux through a Closed Surface=(Charge Enclosed)/Epsilon_0

The Attempt at a Solution

This was a question in the 1982 AP Physics C E&M Free problem 1, part c.
Unfortunately, I cannot find this test anywhere on the internet. I was, however, able to find the solution to the test. The solution given to this question is:
1982 Physics C Solution.JPG

If anyone is able to find the AP Physics C test in question, I would greatly appreciate it.
What I do not understand is that since two charges are on the surface of the sphere, the electric field due to these charges at the points where they are located would be undefined, and thus the electric flux through the surface should also be undefined. According to the creators of the test, however, the charges *on* the sphere are considered to be "enclosed by the sphere."
I would think that the two charges on the sphere would neither be enclosed by it nor outside of it, therefore the flux would be undefined.
Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you. Are you sure the closed surface that are referring to is the surface of the sphere itself? The question might refer to a surface enclosing the sphere...

learningphysics said:
I agree with you. Are you sure the closed surface that are referring to is the surface of the sphere itself? The question might refer to a surface enclosing the sphere...
No, I'm sure the question was to find the electric flux through the sphere.

Related to Electric Flux and Charges on the Surface of a Sphere

1. What is AP Physics C?

AP Physics C is an advanced placement course that focuses on advanced topics in mechanics and electricity and magnetism. It is designed for students who have a strong foundation in physics and mathematics.

2. What is the format of the AP Physics C exam?

The AP Physics C exam consists of two sections: multiple-choice and free-response. The multiple-choice section includes 35 questions and the free-response section includes 3 questions. The entire exam is 3 hours long.

3. What topics are covered in AP Physics C?

AP Physics C covers topics such as kinematics, Newton's laws of motion, work, energy, momentum, rotational motion, electric fields, and circuits. It also includes calculus-based problem solving and mathematical modeling.

4. How should I prepare for the AP Physics C exam?

To prepare for the AP Physics C exam, it is important to have a thorough understanding of the fundamental concepts and equations in mechanics and electricity and magnetism. Practice problems and past AP exam questions can also be helpful in preparing for the exam.

5. Is it necessary to take both AP Physics C exams?

No, it is not necessary to take both AP Physics C exams. Students can choose to take either the Mechanics exam or the Electricity and Magnetism exam, or both. However, some colleges may require students to take both exams for credit or placement in advanced courses.