Electric Fields and Protons: Solving for Time, Velocity, and Distance

In summary, the two masses move towards each other and then leave the plate together. At the same time, they produce a field-less region between the two.
Knightycloud

Homework Statement

Two protons that has a 'm' mass and '+q' charge appears suddenly at the time t=0 as the picture shows. The distance from A to B is 'd0'. They start there motion from 0 velocity and move towards B.
1. What are the t1 and t2 times that are taken by the two masses to get to the plate B?
2. What are the v1 and v2 velocities that are taken by the two masses when they get to the plate B?
3. Then they leave the plate B and get to a distance 'S' at the same time. Area BS is field-less. Find 'S' using v1, v2, t1 and t2

Homework Equations

W = Vq = 1/2mv2
F = Eq
F = ma
E = V/d
S = ut + 1/2at2

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Vq/d0 = ma
S = 1/2at2 → t = [itex]\sqrt{2S/a}[/itex]

2. 1/2mv2 = Vd1χq/d0

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 331
Physics news on Phys.org
Just writing down a bunch of equations does not help us to help you - tell us about the physics, tell us about how you arrived at these answers: what was your reasoning?

We can only help you with your understanding - you have to do your homework
Of course, it also helps to ask a question.

From what I can tell, you think there is some acceleration in the region between B and S and that S has something to do with Q1.
I don't know why you used a chi in Q2.
But if you don't talk about it - how do I know what you are thinking?

There is no acceleration in that B to S region. Plus I thought "χ" as the multiplication sign :D
Those two masses leave B at the velocities v1 and v2. Never mind that B to S part thingy. Did I get that t1, t2, v1 and v2 parts correctly? :D

Ah, that S in part (1) does not refer to the BS region (which is aptly named btw because it is magically free of any fields :) )

So, you are making me guess your reasoning then? OK...

For part (1) it looks like you are using F=ma, then you want to put that "a" into a kinematic equation? If S is supposed to stand for dx where x = {1,2} then that one will work.

For part (2) it looks like you are using conservation of energy? Good call - you can also do it from kinematic equations.

I won't fault this approach - but your core problem is that you shouldn't need reassuring. The main reason students get nervous about their work at this stage is because they are applying equations instead of understanding the physics. One way of reassuring yourself is to use some method that helps you visualize things. eg.

You should draw v-t graphs for the entire motion - bearing in mind they start and end at the same time, and have the same acceleration in the first stage, but q2 accelerates for a shorter time.

Use the displacement = area and acceleration = slope.
The graphs are triangles and rectangles: easy geometry!

This is a very powerful tool, means you don't need to memorize the kinematic equations, and you avoid those niggly doubts.

Thanks!

Cool - have fun.

Related to Electric Fields and Protons: Solving for Time, Velocity, and Distance

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force exerted on a charged particle at a given point in space. It is also known as the electric force per unit charge.

How are electric fields created?

Electric fields are created by electrically charged objects. These objects can be either positively or negatively charged. The strength of an electric field is determined by the amount of charge and the distance from the charged object.

What is the role of protons in electric fields?

Protons have a positive charge and are involved in creating electric fields. They are one of the two types of particles that make up an atom, the other being electrons. Protons are responsible for the positive charge of an atom.

How do electric fields affect protons?

Electric fields exert a force on protons, causing them to move in a particular direction. The direction of the movement depends on the direction of the electric field. In a uniform electric field, protons will experience a constant force and move in a straight line.

What are the practical applications of electric fields and protons?

Electric fields and protons have many practical applications in our daily lives. For example, electric fields are used in electronic devices such as computers and televisions. Protons are also used in medical imaging techniques such as MRI scans. Additionally, electric fields are used in power generation and transportation systems.