Electric Field Strength in Constant Potential Regions: Is it Constant?

• Thread starter Physicsisfun2005
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Short
In summary, if the electric potential is constant in a given region of space, then the electric field strength is also constant in that region. This concept is related to the relationship between potential and electric field, as well as the graphs of V vs r and E vs r. If the potential is constant, the force necessary to move an object from one point to another would be 0, as no work is done and there is no potential difference. Therefore, in this case, the electric field strength would be 0 as well.
Physicsisfun2005
Nice AP Phyiscs prob.
If V (elec. potential) equals a constant throughout a given region of space, what can u say about E (Elec. field strength) in that region?

I think its also constant ;) ...but i was woderin if i was right

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes the electric field is constant - but a very special one! Hint: How do potential and electric field relate to each other? :-)

Is it some type of direct variation?...

I have something in my notes (a mess lol) where the V vs r and E vs r graphs are related...E at a certain point is the slope of the V vs r graph at that point.

Last edited:
The difference between potential at two points is also the work done by a force moving an object from one point to the other. If the potential is a constant what is the force necessary to move an object from any point to any other?

If the potential is a constant the force necessary to move an object from any point to any other would be 0. B/c no work is done and then there would be a potential difference. In this instance I not sure how u would NOT do work if u had a force involved.

Exactly! Therefore the force MUST be ___.

zero...I figure E=0...b/c dV=Edr

Related to Electric Field Strength in Constant Potential Regions: Is it Constant?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force experienced by a charged particle in the presence of other charged particles.

2. What is a constant potential region?

A constant potential region is a region in space where the electric potential remains constant, meaning that the electric field strength is also constant.

3. How is electric field strength measured in constant potential regions?

The electric field strength in a constant potential region can be measured using a voltmeter or other instruments that can measure the electric potential difference between two points in space.

4. Is the electric field strength truly constant in all directions in a constant potential region?

In an ideal situation, the electric field strength should be constant in all directions in a constant potential region. However, in reality, there can be some variations due to factors such as external electric fields or imperfections in the material.

5. What are some real-world applications of constant potential regions and electric field strength?

Constant potential regions and electric field strength have various applications in our daily lives, such as in the design and functioning of electronic devices, power generation and distribution, and even in medical imaging techniques like MRI machines.