Electric Field Strength at Point Z

In summary, the question is asking for the magnitude and direction of the electrical field strength at point Z, given a situation with two charged spheres and point Z located 30 cm to the right of one of the spheres. The answer is 577800 N/C to the left. Additionally, the direction of movement for a stationary charged test particle in an electrical field depends on the direction of the field and the nature of the test charge, typically moving in the direction of the field. The simulation provided in a given website shows a charged particle moving in a circular direction when placed in both an electric and magnetic field, unless other parameters are set. Finally, in a situation with three equally charged spheres forming an equilateral triangle, the density of field lines
pinkyjoshi65
what are the magnitude and direction of the electrical field strength at point Z in the situation below?
negatively charged sphere, x(-2.0*10-5C) is left most, 60 cm to the right of it is a positively charged sphere,Y (8.0*10-6C). Point Z is 30 cm to the right of Y.

What I did:
First i found E1, where q1= -2*10-5 C and r= 0.90 m (direction is right)

Then I found E2, where q2= 8.0*10-6 C and r= 0.30m (direction is left)
then i found the vector sum of E1 and E2, and found the field strenth at Z (direction is Left)

Is this right??

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems right, what is your final answer?

final answer is 577800 N/C (left)

got another question--not a problem..if a stationary charged test particle is free to move in an electrical field, in what direction will it begin to move?

Anyone..??

That depends on the direction of the field and the nature of the test charge. Typically, a "test" charge is a positive and will be accelerated in the same direction as the field.

ah..k..i see..i saw in one of the websites, that the charge moves in a circular direction..

pinkyjoshi65 said:
ah..k..i see..i saw in one of the websites, that the charge moves in a circular direction..

Was this a charge in a magnetic field?

Last edited by a moderator:
The simulation I see when I click that link shows both an electric and magnetic field. The charged particle in question also has an initial velocity...Unless you are setting the parameters to some other situation...

k i guess then ur right..one more question:three small, negatively charged spheres are located at the vertices of an equilateral triangle.The magnitudes of the charges are equal. Sketch the electical field in the region around this charge distribution, including the space inside the triangle.

ok..so all i know is that density of field lines will be more whr the field is greater..

Related to Electric Field Strength at Point Z

1. What is electric field strength at point Z?

The electric field strength at point Z is a measure of the force exerted by an electric field on a unit charge at that specific point. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is electric field strength at point Z calculated?

The electric field strength at point Z can be calculated by dividing the force on a test charge placed at that point by the magnitude of the test charge. Mathematically, it can be expressed as E = F/Q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force, and Q is the test charge.

3. What factors affect the electric field strength at point Z?

The electric field strength at point Z is affected by various factors such as the magnitude and distribution of charges in the surrounding area, the distance from the source of the electric field, and the medium through which the electric field is passing.

4. What is the unit of electric field strength at point Z?

The unit of electric field strength at point Z is newtons per coulomb (N/C) in the SI system of units. In other systems, it can be expressed as volts per meter (V/m) or dynes per statcoulomb (dyn/statC).

5. How is electric field strength at point Z represented graphically?

Electric field strength at point Z is represented graphically using electric field lines, which show the direction and relative strength of the electric field at different points in space. The closer the lines are together, the stronger the electric field at that point.