Electric Field & Potential: Solve for Radius

In summary, to determine all possible values for the radius of a charged conducting sphere given an electric potential of 250 V and an electric field magnitude of 440 V/m, one must use the equations V = keQ/R and E = keQ/R^2 and solve a quadratic equation to find the radius.
twisted079

Homework Statement

The electric potential immediately outside a charged conducting sphere is 250 V, and 10.0 cm farther from the center the magnitude of the electric field is 440 V/m.
(c) Determine all possible values for the radius of the sphere. (Enter your answers from smallest to largest. If only one value exists, enter "NONE" in the second answer blank.)

Homework Equations

V = keQ / R and E = keQ / R2

The Attempt at a Solution

Im assuming that since there are two answers (Im sure it is two definite answers), it has to do with the squared distance in the denominator of E; (+/-) a certain number. There is most definitely proportionality here.

My attempt hasnt gotten me far. I found the electric potential at the +10cm where the electric field is 440. That hasnt gotten me anywhere. I try to set up a system of two equations where 1) 250 = keQ/R1 ----> R = 210/keQ and 2) 440 = keQ/(R22+10) *radius should be given in cm*-----> (R22+10) = keQ/440

I have no idea where to go from here. My head hurts from this problem and I put so much time into it and got basically no where. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org

twisted079 said:

Homework Equations

V = keQ / R and E = keQ / R2

The Attempt at a Solution

I try to set up a system of two equations where 1) 250 = keQ/R1 ----> R = 210/keQ and 2) 440 = keQ/(R22+10)

You found the correct equations for V and E, but you applied the second one wrong. In the first case, R1=R, the radius of the sphere, but in the second case R2=R+0.1. You have to use meters as the formula is valid for SI units. And you have to square R2 which is R22=(R+0.1)2.

So you have the equation

[tex]\frac{kQ}{R}= 250[/tex]

[tex]\frac{kQ}{(R+0.1)^2}= 440[/tex]

Eliminate kQ. You get a quadratic equation for R. Solve.

ehild

Related to Electric Field & Potential: Solve for Radius

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a vector quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force exerted on a charged particle in an electric field. It is created by electric charges and can be visualized as the lines of force surrounding a charged object.

2. How do you calculate the electric field?

The electric field is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a charged particle by the magnitude of the charge. Mathematically, it is represented as E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the charge.

3. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of work needed to move a unit of electric charge from a reference point to a specific point in an electric field. It is measured in volts and is a scalar quantity.

4. How do you calculate the electric potential?

The electric potential is calculated by dividing the work done on a charged particle by the magnitude of the charge. Mathematically, it is represented as V = W/q, where V is the electric potential, W is the work done, and q is the charge.

5. How do you solve for radius in an electric field and potential?

To solve for radius, you will need to know the electric field strength and electric potential at a specific point. Then, use the equation r = V/E, where r is the radius, V is the electric potential, and E is the electric field strength. Plug in the values and solve for r to find the radius at that point.