Electric field outside a long cylindrical shell

In summary, the electrical field at a point 16.5 cm from the center of the cylindrical shell carrying a uniform surface charge of 4.60E-6 C/m2 is 0.163*10**6 N/C.
MeMoses

Homework Statement

A long cylindrical shell of radius R = 12.3 cm carries a uniform surface charge 4.60E-6 C/m2. Using Gauss's law find the electrical field at a point p2 = 16.5 from the center of the cylinder.

Homework Equations

EA=q/epsilon0

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I thought would work but does not produce the answer. The area is arbitrary I believe so I just used a 1m strip of the cylinder, A=2*0.123m*1m=0.246,**2. Q is found by multiplying the area of the cylinder by the charge density, Q=2*pi*r*1*(density)=3.555*10**-6 C. Solve for E, E=Q/(A*epsilon0) =0.163*10**6 N/C which is not correct. Any help would be great, especially if its before 11pm EST tonight.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MeMoses! :smile:

Difficult to tell without seeing your intermediate steps …

but did you use r = 16.5 ?

i don't believe r=16.5 is needed, we just need to know that it is outside the cylinder, since it is an infinitely long cylinder the field should not be dramatically affected by distance. I think i just calculated area wrong

MeMoses said:
… since it is an infinitely long cylinder the field should not be dramatically affected by distance.

that works for an infinite flat plate, since the field lines can't get any further apart as they go away …

but they do get further apart from a cylinder, don't they? :wink:

Yup compare the lines for a plane, cylinder/wire and sphere to see how their spacing varies with distance from the object.

Ok that makes sense now. I feel like an idiot for think that. However, just to clarify, would the equation I need simplify as such, E*A=Q/epsilon -> E(2*pi*r*h)=Q/epsilon, and Q=(2*pi*r*h)*charge density? and would every r here be the distance from the center, not the radius of the cylinder as I previously thought?

Ok i got, thanks for the help

Good job!

Related to Electric field outside a long cylindrical shell

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that is created by electrically charged particles. It exerts a force on other charged particles, causing them to move.

How is an electric field outside a long cylindrical shell calculated?

The electric field outside a long cylindrical shell can be calculated using the formula E = λ/2πε₀r, where E is the electric field, λ is the linear charge density of the shell, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the center of the shell.

Does the electric field outside a long cylindrical shell depend on the length of the shell?

No, the electric field outside a long cylindrical shell does not depend on the length of the shell. It only depends on the linear charge density and the distance from the center of the shell.

How does the electric field outside a long cylindrical shell change with distance?

The electric field outside a long cylindrical shell decreases with distance from the center of the shell. This is because the electric field is inversely proportional to the distance from the source charge.

Can the electric field outside a long cylindrical shell be negative?

Yes, the electric field outside a long cylindrical shell can be negative. This occurs when the linear charge density of the shell is negative, which means that the shell has an excess of negative charge.