Electric field of light emitted by atom, given the intensity

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of a linearly polarized electromagnetic wave at a given place over time. For t < 0, the field is zero because the intensity has not been emitted yet. For t >= 0, the speaker has tried squaring the given E and believes that the amplitudes are proportional with a cos^2 term. However, they feel like they may be missing something and ask for clarification. It is mentioned that the image has a different question than the title and that the angular dependence of the emission is not considered in this context.
bunchedupwalrus
Homework Statement
Explain why the time-dependent electric field of an atom emitting a burst of light can be zero, or contain a cosine.
Relevant Equations
I(t)=I(0)exp (-t /tau) for t>=0
E(t) = 0 for t >= 0
E(t)=E_0 cos(w_0 *t)e^(t/2tau) for t < 0
I proportional to E^2 via poynting vector
For t < 0 , all I can think of is a qualatative " the field is zero because the intensitity is 0 when the burst of light hasn't been emitted yet "

For t >= 0 , I've tried squaring the given E and that let's me say the amplitudes are proportional (with a cos^2 term in the mix)

But I feel like I'm missing something. Is this the right idea? Thanks

(From quantum optics, fox)

Attachments

• tosend.PNG
    tosend.PNG
    6.3 KB · Views: 196
Physics news on Phys.org
The image has a different question than the title.

A linearly polarized electromagnetic wave will have an electric field of zero twice per period at a given place. Usually only the average energy density over one period is relevant. You don't consider things like the angular dependence of the emission here anyway.

Related to Electric field of light emitted by atom, given the intensity

1. What is the electric field of light emitted by an atom?

The electric field of light emitted by an atom refers to the strength and direction of the electric field that is produced by the emission of light from an atom. This field is created as the electrons in the atom transition between energy levels and release photons of light.

2. How is the electric field of light emitted by an atom measured?

The electric field of light emitted by an atom can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as spectroscopy or interferometry. These methods involve analyzing the properties of the emitted light, such as its frequency and polarization, to determine the strength and direction of the electric field.

3. What factors affect the intensity of the electric field of light emitted by an atom?

The intensity of the electric field of light emitted by an atom can be affected by several factors, including the energy levels of the atom's electrons, the number of electrons in the atom, and the distance between the atom and the observer. Additionally, the type of atom and the surrounding environment can also impact the electric field intensity.

4. How does the electric field of light emitted by an atom relate to its atomic structure?

The electric field of light emitted by an atom is closely related to its atomic structure. As the electrons in an atom transition between energy levels, they produce changes in the electric field, which results in the emission of light. The specific energy levels and arrangement of electrons in an atom determine the frequency and intensity of the emitted light.

5. Can the intensity of the electric field of light emitted by an atom be manipulated?

Yes, the intensity of the electric field of light emitted by an atom can be manipulated. This can be done through various techniques, such as using external electric fields to alter the energy levels of the electrons in the atom, or by changing the properties of the surrounding environment. Additionally, the use of specialized materials and structures can also affect the intensity of the electric field emitted by an atom.