Electric field of infinitely long parallel wires

In summary: I fixed it.So, the electric field at a point z away from the middle point of the two wires is:E(left wire) = 4*k*2*(lambda) / (d^2+z^2)^.5E(right wire) = -4*k*2*(lambda) / (d^2+z^2)^.5
E&M

Homework Statement

Two infinitely long parallel wires separated by a distance 2d, one carries uniform linear charge density of [tex]\lambda[/tex] and the other one carries an uniform linear charge density of -[tex]\lambda[/tex], find the electric field at a point distance z away from the middle point of the two wires.

Homework Equations

E(left wire) = [tex]\lambda[/tex].K .integration (1/r^2). dr
E(right wire) = - [tex]\lambda[/tex].K .integration (1/r^2). dr

The Attempt at a Solution

r = (x^2 + d^2 + z^2)
dr = dx
i don't know what should be the limit of integration and i don't know if whatever i did is right or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
hey, I have attached a figure. I thought this might make your life a little bit easier...i think you have to calculate potential and then calculate E, otherwise it's going to be hard. I think the x and z components cancel each other. so, you will only have y component of electric field. good luck.

Attachments

• fig.jpg
    fig.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 1,219
Do you know the solution for a single infinite wire carrying charge density [itex]\lambda[/itex]? If so, you can use the superposition principle and avoid having to carry out any integration.

i know the solution for single infinite wire at a point z distance above the center of the wire but since, here we also have to consider y direction, I am not sure how to do it.

Well, what is the solution "for single infinite wire at a point z distance above the center of the wire"?

K. 2 (lambda) / z for the wire with charge density = positive. lambda

Good, so for that solution z is the distance from the wire...What is the distance from the point (0,0,z) to either of the two wires in the new problem?

it is (x^2 + y^2 + z^2) ^.5

The distance would be the hypotenuse in the following diagram...
k
|
|
|\
| \
|z \
|___\_______>j
d

wouldn't it?

if u were asking distance from the center of the wire then it's going to be (y^2 + z^2) ^.5 where y = d right?

so, is the E simply going to be K. 2 (lambda) / (d^2 + z^2)^.5 along the direction of (d^2 + z^2) and then when we consider two wires, z components are going to cancel and we calculate and add the y components?

am I anywhere close?

Yes, the magnitude of E for the wire with +lambda is just K. 2 (lambda) / (d^2 + z^2)^.5. And the magnitude of the other wire is (-)K. 2 (lambda) / (d^2 + z^2)^.5. What are the directions of each of those fields?

for the individual wires, their x components cancel and they only have y and z components, but if we consider both of the wires, their z components cancel as well and then there will be only y component left pointing towards the wire with -lambda charge density.

am I right?

Yes, so what is the y-component of E for each wire? (Remember that E points along the hypotenuse in the above diagram)

individual y component is going to be K* 2 * (lambda) * cos( angle between hypotenuse and d) / (d^2 + z^2)^.5.
= K* 2 * (lambda) * d / (d^2 + z^2)
Net y component = 2* K* 2 * (lambda) * d / (d^2 + z^2)
??

Looks good to me:approve:

[itex]\vec{E}(z)=\frac{4k \lambda d}{z^2+d^2} \hat{y}[/itex]

is lambda missing in your equation ?

thanks a lot

yes, lambda was missing, but it's fixed now.

Related to Electric field of infinitely long parallel wires

What is the concept of electric field of infinitely long parallel wires?

The electric field of infinitely long parallel wires refers to the force that exists between two parallel, infinitely long wires carrying electric charges. This force is created by the interaction of the electric fields generated by the two wires, and can be calculated using Coulomb's law.

How is the electric field calculated for infinitely long parallel wires?

The electric field for infinitely long parallel wires can be calculated using the formula E = (λ/2πε₀r), where λ is the linear charge density of the wires, ε₀ is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance between the wires.

What is the direction of the electric field between infinitely long parallel wires?

The direction of the electric field between infinitely long parallel wires is perpendicular to the wires and points towards the opposite wire. This means that the electric field lines are parallel to the wires and are directed towards the other wire.

How does the electric field change with distance between the infinitely long parallel wires?

The electric field between infinitely long parallel wires decreases as the distance between the wires increases. This is because the electric field is inversely proportional to the distance between the wires, meaning that as the distance increases, the electric field strength decreases.

What are some real-life applications of the concept of electric field between infinitely long parallel wires?

The concept of electric field between infinitely long parallel wires has various real-life applications, such as in high-voltage power transmission lines, where the wires are separated by large distances to minimize the electric field strength and prevent electric sparks. It is also used in the design of capacitors and in electrostatic precipitators for air pollution control.