Electric field of a long round bar

In summary, the conversation is about finding the electric field around a long conductive round bar and proving that it is equal to that of a long thin wire with the charge on the center line. This is done using the Gauss theorem and equations for charge per unit length and surface. The result is that the electric field is the same for both cases.
Karol

Homework Statement

I have to prove that the electric field round a long conductive round bar of radius R is equal to that of a long thin wire, meaning the charge is on the center line

Homework Equations

The Gauss theorem:
##E\times A=q##
Where A is the area of the surface and q is the charge enclosed in it

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the field E when the charge is concentrated on the axis i take a round long volume with radius r:
##E\times 2\pi rl=\lambda l\rightarrow E=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi r}##
Where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the charge per unit length.
The field near a round bar:
##E\times 2\pi rl=\sigma\cdot 2\pi R l##
Where [itex]\sigma[/itex] is the charge per unit surface, since the charge is concentrated only on the surface.
But [itex]\sigma\cdot 2\pi R l=\lambda l[/itex]
They both are the charge per unit length. and so is if i use the charge per unit mass.
I feel uncomfortable

Physics news on Phys.org
Karol said:

Homework Statement

I have to prove that the electric field round a long conductive round bar of radius R is equal to that of a long thin wire, meaning the charge is on the center line

Homework Equations

The Gauss theorem:
##E\times A=q##
Where A is the area of the surface and q is the charge enclosed in it

It is true if you use cgs system of units where ε0=1.

Karol said:

The Attempt at a Solution

To find the field E when the charge is concentrated on the axis i take a round long volume with radius r:
##E\times 2\pi rl=\lambda l\rightarrow E=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi r}##
Where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the charge per unit length.

Correct.

Karol said:
The field near a round bar:
##E\times 2\pi rl=\sigma\cdot 2\pi R l##
Where [itex]\sigma[/itex] is the charge per unit surface, since the charge is concentrated only on the surface.
But [itex]\sigma\cdot 2\pi R l=\lambda l[/itex]
Simplifying, you get that E=σ R/r and σ =λ/(2πR). Substitute the second equation into the first, what do you get? Is E the same as in case of a thin long wire at the centre?

I get ##E=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi r}## like for a long thin wire at the center, and that's good, but i feel uncomfortable with that, is that the method to prove it?

You do not need to feel uncomfortable, it was the right proof. :) Good job!

Thanks

Related to Electric field of a long round bar

What is an electric field of a long round bar?

The electric field of a long round bar refers to the strength and direction of the electric force that would be experienced by a charged particle placed near the bar. It is a measure of the influence the bar's electric charge has on its surroundings.

How is the electric field of a long round bar calculated?

The electric field of a long round bar can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the bar, and r is the distance from the bar.

What factors affect the electric field of a long round bar?

The electric field of a long round bar is affected by the charge of the bar, the distance from the bar, and the medium in which the bar is placed. It is also dependent on the shape and size of the bar.

How does the direction of the electric field of a long round bar change?

The direction of the electric field of a long round bar changes as the distance from the bar increases. It follows the inverse square law, meaning that the strength of the field decreases with the square of the distance from the bar.

What is the significance of the electric field of a long round bar?

The electric field of a long round bar is an important concept in understanding the behavior of electric charges and the principles of electrostatics. It is also used in practical applications such as in the design of electrical circuits and devices.