Electric Field Lines, Misconception

In summary, the conversation was about a physics question discussing misconceptions among students. The question involved sketching electric field lines and equipotential surfaces based on given potentials at three vertices of an equilateral triangle. The misconception was that students sketched the field lines as if they were starting and ending at points with charges. The solution involved finding the electric field vector by writing the potential in terms of coordinates at each point and solving for the constants. The equipotential surfaces are perpendicular to the electric field lines.
Dweirdo

Homework Statement

This is a question I read in an article that discusses about misconception of physics among students.
they only provided the question and some of the wrong principles students suggested.

Three Points , located on the vertices(vertexes) of an equilateral triangle and have potentials 0V, 50 V ,-25V as in the figure I attached to this thread.
The students were asked to sketch electric field lines and equipotential surfaces.

Homework Equations

E=V/d
Electric field line's starting point should be either a charge or infinity.
Electric field line's ending point should be either a charge or infinity.

the misconception was that students sketched electric field lines from one point to another as if there were charges there.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I assumed they are apart distance d from each other.
then I divided the question into 3 two-pairs and found the electrical field that should be in a specific direction to satisfy this voltage difference.

e.g
the pair P2 -P1 has potential difference of 50V thus I can assume there is an electric field in the direction from P2 to P1 with magnitude of 50/d (but not starting from point P2, it starts from infinity ,just the direction is... you could say 30 degrees wit the vertical.)
then I summed all the components to find the direction of the "net Electric Field" which happens to be 19.1 degrees(if I'm not mistaken) to the left of the vertical as shown in the second diagram,and the direction is independent of d.

and about the equipotential surfaces,
IMO they are perpendicular to the electric field lines but they are not really surfaces :S just lines, and I'm not sure if it's OK ( they are infinite so I can say the are surfaces ??).

anyway,any suggestions and help is appreciated, I've never been that in-secure in a physics question.

Thank You,
Dw

Attachments

• questz.JPG
    questz.JPG
    5.3 KB · Views: 345
  • solz.JPG
    solz.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 363
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose it is understood that the electric field is uniform in the region, otherwise the problem would be impossible. If that is the case, I would write the potential in that region of space as

φ(x,y) = C1x + C2y + C3 where all the C's are constants.

The Electric field vector then would be (-C1, -C2)

To find these constants, attach coordinates to each point and write the potential. For example, if you put the origin at the leftmost charge, you get

φ(0,0) = -C3 = -25 V
Do the same with the other three vertices and you will three equations and three unknowns, C1, C2 and C3 (you already know C3). Solve and get the electric field vector. It will be in terms of the side of the equilateral triangle, but that's just a scaling factor that doesn't change the direction of the field lines relative to the triangle.

Last edited:
Hi kuruman!
Thank you for the reply.
They haven't specified in the question that the electric field is uniform in the region,but I assume it's uniform otherwise you are right and problem would be impossible.

With your solution I get the same angle as in my solution!
But the magnitude of the electric field is different.
You solution is right and mine is wrong,i've ended up adding the contribution to x twice and thus making it wrong, but I wonder how I've received the same angle..

I like your solution,Thank You very much for your help!
btw the equipotential surfaces are OK,right?

Last edited:
I am not sure how you ended up adding the contribution to x twice, but not to y and still get the angle right. If the field is E = - (C1, C2) then E = - (2C1, C2) would give a different angle, but E = - 2(C1, C2) would not.

The equipotentials in this case are lines perpendicular to the electric field lines. You can check if they are correct by finding the equation for one of them and plugging in different values for x and y.

Last edited:
When I first tried to solve it, I hadn't used your technique,I've explained mine in the first post of this thread,which is conceptually wrong , but logically(then..) was alright.
I've ended up adding all the contributions to the x direction and to the y direction instead of using it just once.
but still I've received the right angle(19.1 as in the first post).. kinda weird, but nvm.

thank You :)

Related to Electric Field Lines, Misconception

1. What are electric field lines?

Electric field lines are a visual representation of the direction and strength of an electric field in a given space. They are imaginary lines that show the path a positive test charge would take if placed in the electric field.

2. Are electric field lines physical objects?

No, electric field lines are not physical objects. They are simply a tool used to visualize the electric field and understand its properties.

3. Do electric field lines show the actual path of electric charges?

No, electric field lines do not show the actual path of electric charges. They only show the direction and strength of the electric field at different points in space.

4. Is it possible for electric field lines to cross each other?

No, electric field lines cannot cross each other. They must always be perpendicular to each other, as they represent the direction of the electric field at a given point.

5. Are electric field lines always straight?

No, electric field lines can be curved or straight, depending on the configuration of charges in the electric field. They will always be perpendicular to the surface of a conductor, but may be curved if there are non-uniform charges present.