Electric Field Lines: Intersection & Equilibrium

In summary, the conversation discusses whether E and B field lines from different sources can cross. The conclusion is that this is not possible because a charged particle would have 2 possible paths after reaching the intersection point. The idea of induced E fields and other sources is also brought up, but it is believed that the overall total field will reach equilibrium and have a smooth flow. It is also noted that if there are multiple sources of E field, the resultant field will not have lines crossing, but the individual field lines of each source may still cross.
cragar
Can we have E and B field lines from 2 different sources cross. I don't think we can because then a charged particle traveling through the field would have 2 possible paths after reaching the intersection point. But then what if we have induced E fields and other sources. But IM guessing that the overall total field will reach equilibrium and the field lines will have a nice flow.

Physics news on Phys.org
cragar said:
I don't think we can because then a charged particle traveling through the field would have 2 possible paths after reaching the intersection point.
Why would it have 2 possible paths?

If I had 2 E field lines cross at say right angles, when I draw the field lines, If an electron came to this crossing how would it know which way to go. Which E field line would it follow if there were 2 branching out?

cragar said:
If I had 2 E field lines cross at say right angles, when I draw the field lines, If an electron came to this crossing how would it know which way to go. Which E field line would it follow if there were 2 branching out?
Ah... I misread your post. I thought you were asking about E and B lines crossing each other.

If you have multiple sources of E field, the resultant field will not have lines crossing.

The crucial word there being "resultant"- the sum of the vector fields of the different forces, not the field lines of the separate sources themselves. Those may well cross.

Related to Electric Field Lines: Intersection & Equilibrium

1. What is an electric field line?

An electric field line is a concept used to represent the direction and strength of an electric field. It is a visual tool that helps us visualize the electric field and understand its behavior.

2. How are electric field lines drawn?

Electric field lines are drawn by placing a small test charge in the electric field and tracing its path. The lines are drawn in such a way that they are tangent to the electric field at every point, and the density of lines represents the strength of the electric field.

3. What happens when electric field lines intersect?

When electric field lines intersect, it means that there are two or more electric fields acting in the same region. The direction of the field at the intersection point is the vector sum of the individual fields.

4. What is equilibrium in terms of electric field lines?

Equilibrium in terms of electric field lines means that the net electric field at any point is zero. This can occur when two or more electric fields are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction, canceling each other out.

5. How can electric field lines be used to determine the strength of an electric field?

The density of electric field lines can be used to determine the strength of an electric field. The closer the lines are together, the stronger the electric field. The number of lines per unit area is directly proportional to the strength of the electric field.