Electric field in Energy Bands

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the electric field using the given energy band and whether it is simply the energy difference divided by distance. It is clarified that to get the electric field, the derivative of the potential must be taken.
jisbon
Homework Statement
The energy band in a semiconductor sample is given by
##6.67x^2##
eV, where x is the distance and is valid from 0 to 3m.
(i)Sketch energy band diagram, indicating valence and conduction bands, energy gap and direction of x.
(ii)Determine the electric field in terms of V and m as a function of distance x and indicate the direction of the electric field in the energy band diagram.
(iii)Calculate the electric field at x=3m (in terms of and m)
Relevant Equations
-
This is my attempt at this question, and I'm probably wrong, will need some help/guidance from the experts here :/

i)
1584579037432.png

(ii)

Since energy band given by ##6.67x^2##, can I assume that electric field is simply the energy difference from 0-3m divided by 3m? In this case, would the answer simply be (6.67*3*3)-(6.67*0*0)/3= 20.01V/m?

(iii)At x=3, will the electric field be simply 20.01*3=60.03?

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
jisbon said:
(iii)At x=3, will the electric field be simply 20.01*3=60.03?

Cheers
No. To get field, you need to take derivative of potential, not simply divide by distance. After taking derivative, the answer is E(x)=2*x*6.67

Related to Electric field in Energy Bands

1. What is an electric field in energy bands?

An electric field in energy bands refers to the presence of an electric field within a material's energy band structure. This field can be created by the movement of charged particles, such as electrons, within the material.

2. How does an electric field affect energy bands?

An electric field can cause a shift in the energy levels of electrons within a material, resulting in a change in the material's energy band structure. This can lead to changes in the material's conductivity and other properties.

3. What factors can influence the strength of an electric field in energy bands?

The strength of an electric field in energy bands can be influenced by factors such as the material's composition, temperature, and the presence of impurities or defects within the material.

4. How is the electric field in energy bands measured?

The electric field in energy bands can be measured using techniques such as Hall effect measurements, which measure the voltage across a material in the presence of an applied magnetic field, or through spectroscopic techniques that can detect changes in the energy levels of electrons.

5. What are the practical applications of studying electric fields in energy bands?

Studying electric fields in energy bands is important for understanding the behavior of materials and can have practical applications in the development of electronic devices, such as transistors and semiconductors, as well as in renewable energy technologies, such as solar cells.