Electric Field in a living cell

In summary, the membrane surrounding a living cell acts like a parallel plate capacitor with a charge density of 5.77 x 10-6 C/m2 on the inner and outer walls. The electric field within the membrane can be calculated using the equation E=5.77E-6/8.8542E-12. The second part of the question asks for the magnitude of the electric force exerted on a potassium ion with a charge of +1.602x10^-19 coulombs, which can be found using the same equation.
arod2812

Homework Statement

The membrane surrounding a living cell consists of an inner and an outer wall that are separated by a small space. Assume that the membrane acts like a parallel plate capacitor in which the effective charge density on the inner and outer walls has a magnitude of 5.77 x 10-6 C/m2. (a) What is the magnitude of the electric field within the cell membrane? (b) Find the magnitude of the electric force that would be exerted on a potassium ion (K+; charge = +e) placed inside the membrane.

Homework Equations

I don't understand what the second part of this question entails. What does +e tell me?

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i understand that the first part is E=5.77E-6/8.8542E-12 because E=sigma/E(not)
Therefore, I replace the charge density (sigma) with the charge density for an electron??

Physics news on Phys.org
The positively charged potassium ion is missing an electron, so its charge +1.602x10^-19 coulombs, that's what +e means

I believe you did part a) right, as long as your equations and numbers are right

Regardless, it's similar to the other problem you posted. You have found the electric field in part A, and now you want to know the force exerted on a charge +e by that electric field. Same equation you used in the other problem

I would like to point out that the content provided is incomplete and lacks important information. In order to accurately answer the questions, we would need to know the dimensions and materials of the cell membrane, as well as the dielectric constant of the medium between the inner and outer walls. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately calculate the electric field within the cell membrane.

Regarding the second part of the question, +e refers to the charge of a proton, which is the same as the charge of a potassium ion. In order to calculate the electric force on the ion, we would need to know the magnitude and direction of the electric field within the membrane, as well as the dimensions and charge of the ion. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately calculate the electric force.

In summary, the question provides insufficient information to accurately answer the given questions. As a scientist, it is important to always provide complete and accurate information in order to ensure the validity of our findings.

Related to Electric Field in a living cell

What is an electric field in a living cell?

The electric field in a living cell refers to the distribution of electrical charges within the cell that creates a force on other charges within the cell.

How is the electric field generated in a living cell?

The electric field in a living cell is generated by the movement of ions across the cell membrane, which creates a difference in electrical potential between the inside and outside of the cell.

What is the role of the electric field in cellular processes?

The electric field plays a critical role in many cellular processes, such as cell signaling, membrane transport, and cellular communication. It also helps to maintain the proper functioning of the cell.

How is the electric field measured in a living cell?

The electric field in a living cell can be measured using techniques such as patch-clamp electrophysiology, which allows for the measurement of ion currents across the cell membrane, or voltage-sensitive dyes, which can detect changes in the electric field.

Can the electric field in a living cell be manipulated?

Yes, the electric field in a living cell can be manipulated through the use of external electrical stimulation, which can affect cellular processes and can be used in research and medical treatments.