Electric Field Calculation for Volume and Surface Charges?

In summary, volume charges refer to the distribution of electric charges within a three-dimensional region, while surface charges refer to the distribution of charges on a two-dimensional surface. They are related through Gauss's Law and both create electric fields, but the electric field due to a volume charge decreases with distance while the field due to a surface charge remains constant. Volume and surface charges can coexist in the same region and are used for practical applications such as in capacitors and electronic devices.
timothy ser
Hello,

I know you can use Gauss' law to calculate the electric field of volume and surface charges but i cannot figure out a way to do it using Coloumb's law. I have several questions about this: when you integrate the charge density in Coloumb's law over the volume is the r^2 inside or outside the integral? is the unit vector necessary to calculate within the integral or is it allowed to drop the unit vector and obtain a scalar equation for the electric field's magnitude? Lastly, when I calculate the electric field of volume charges, i notice that after I integrate, I lose spatial coordinates with which to calculate the electric field at certain points in space.

I am sorry for the long post but I have been struggling with this for sometime.

Physics news on Phys.org
In Gauss' law the electric field in a certain point in space is a superposition from electric field due to infinitesimal charge element, The E field due to single element is the same as that due to a point charge ##k\frac{q}{r^2} \hat{\mathbf{r}}## - different charge element will have different ##r## and ##\hat{\mathbf{r}}##. This means, they are dependent on the variable of integration and hence cannot be taken outside the integral.
timothy ser said:
Lastly, when I calculate the electric field of volume charges, i notice that after I integrate, I lose spatial coordinates with which to calculate the electric field at certain points in space.
That cannot be true, you should check again your calculation.

Can somebody due an example with both Gauss' law and Coloumb's law?

Choose an example that you tried to do, preferably one that you already know the answer for, from Gauss's law or otherwise. Write up your attempt at integrating Coulomb's law for it, and post it in the homework section (even though it's not a class assignment). Then people can tell you what you did wrong and give hints on how to proceed.

https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/advanced-physics-homework.154/

thank you

jtbell said:
Write up your attempt at integrating Coulomb's law for it, and post it in the homework section (even though it's not a class assignment). Then people can tell you what you did wrong and give hints on how to proceed.

Seconded. Thread locked.

Related to Electric Field Calculation for Volume and Surface Charges?

1. What is the difference between volume charges and surface charges?

Volume charges refer to the distribution of electric charges within a three-dimensional region, while surface charges refer to the distribution of charges on a two-dimensional surface. In other words, volume charges are spread out in all directions, while surface charges are confined to the surface of an object.

2. How are volume and surface charges related?

Volume and surface charges are related through the Gauss's Law, which states that the total electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by the permittivity of free space. This means that the total volume charge within a region is equal to the total surface charge on the boundary of that region.

3. How do volume and surface charges affect electric fields?

Volume and surface charges both create electric fields, which are responsible for the movement of electric charges. However, the electric field due to a volume charge decreases with distance, while the field due to a surface charge remains constant at all distances from the surface.

4. Can volume and surface charges coexist in the same region?

Yes, volume and surface charges can coexist in the same region. In fact, most objects have both volume and surface charges, since the surface of an object is made up of many smaller volume elements. The total charge within a region is the sum of all volume and surface charges in that region.

5. How are volume and surface charges used in practical applications?

Volume and surface charges are used in various practical applications, such as in capacitors, which use parallel plates with opposite surface charges to store electric energy. They are also used in the design of electronic devices, such as transistors and microchips, where precise control of volume and surface charges is necessary for proper functioning.