Electric field between bands in semiconductors

In summary, the electric field between the conduction band and valence band in a semiconductor is given by E=\frac{dE_c}{q dx}. However, the general form of electric field is E=\frac{k.q_0.q}{r^2}. The direction of this field is from positive to negative, from the conduction band to the valence band. It is important to note that the conduction and valence bands represent different energy levels, not physical spaces. Additionally, the direction of the field does not depend on the presence of space between the charges. The correct direction is from the conduction band to the valence band.
green-fresh
i read in an online course about semiconductors that electric field between [tex]E_c[/tex] and [tex]E_v[/tex]
given by:

[tex]E=\frac{dE_c}{q dx}[/tex]

and i know the general form of electric field is :
[tex]E=\frac{k.q_0.q}{r^2}[/tex]
and what is the direction of this field ,i know from positive to negative , from [tex]E_c[/tex] to [tex]E_v[/tex]? because both [tex]E_c[/tex] & [tex]E_c[/tex] have electrons and holes

and dose anyone know what is [tex]\mu_n[/tex] electron mobilities

thank you very much!

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
First off be careful with your notation. When using Electric Field and Energy you're best off not to use the symbol "E" for both. Consider using "E" for electric field and "W" for work or energy.

Second and more important, you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of the semiconductor energy band model. The conduction and valence bands represent different energy levels in the semiconductor, they are not spatially separated.

yes! I'm sorry you are right
could i have an electric field between negative charge and positive charge even if there isn't a space between them .
and is it correct that:
the direction of this field is,i know from positive to negative , from CB(conduction band) to VB ?

Related to Electric field between bands in semiconductors

What is an electric field between bands in semiconductors?

An electric field between bands in semiconductors refers to the force exerted on electrons as they move between the valence and conduction bands in a semiconductor material. This force is caused by differences in energy levels between the bands and can affect the movement and behavior of electrons in the material.

How does the electric field between bands affect the conductivity of a semiconductor?

The electric field between bands can impact the conductivity of a semiconductor by changing the energy levels of electrons and thus altering their ability to move freely through the material. A stronger electric field can increase the conductivity, while a weaker field can decrease it.

What is the role of impurities in the electric field between bands in semiconductors?

Impurities, or dopants, can play a significant role in the electric field between bands in semiconductors. They can create localized regions of higher or lower energy levels, which can alter the electric field and affect the movement of electrons between bands.

How does the electric field between bands in semiconductors relate to the band gap?

The electric field between bands in semiconductors is closely related to the band gap, as the band gap represents the energy difference between the valence and conduction bands. The strength of the electric field can impact the width of the band gap and thus affect the conductivity of the material.

What are some applications of understanding the electric field between bands in semiconductors?

Understanding the electric field between bands in semiconductors is crucial for developing and improving semiconductor devices, such as transistors and diodes. It is also essential for studying and manipulating the electrical properties of materials for various technological applications, including electronic sensors and solar cells.