Electric feild and a conducter

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a spherical conductor and a positive charge. The person is asked to draw how they think the charge will be distributed. They mention the equation for electric field and their initial thoughts about the distribution of negative and positive charges. They then recall that the electric field inside a conductor is always zero and revise their answer accordingly. They also mention a method for dealing with such problems, the method of mirror images, and include a link for further information.
EV33

Homework Statement

The problem shows a picture of a spherical conductor that is placed some distance away from a positive charge.

It wants me to draw in how I think the charge will be distributed.

Homework Equations

E=(KQq)/r^(2)

The Attempt at a Solution

My original thoughts were that the negative charge would be on the side closest to the positive charge because opposite charges attact.

But then

I remembered that the E field inside of a conductor is always zero. So then I figured that the positive charges would be on the side closest to the positive charge because the e field of the charges on the right side of the sphere need to be facing the opposite direction as the e field from the outside charge in order for the e fields to cancel each other out inside the sphere.

Is this right?

It just throws me off a little bit because I know that opposite charges attract.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I noticed my post didn't make much sense there towards the end but I just edited so hopefully it makes sense now if anyone was having trouble understanding what I was saying.

Related to Electric feild and a conducter

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region around a charged particle where the force of the electric field affects other charged particles. It is represented by electric field lines, which show the direction and strength of the electric field.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by charged particles, such as electrons and protons. When these particles are stationary, they create a static electric field. When they are in motion, they create an electromagnetic field.

3. What is the role of a conductor in an electric field?

A conductor is a material that allows electric charges to move freely through it. In an electric field, conductors redistribute their charges to create a uniform electric field within their boundaries.

4. What happens to the electric field inside a conductor?

Inside a conductor, the electric field is zero. This is because the free charges within the conductor will move in such a way to cancel out any external electric field. This is known as electrostatic equilibrium.

5. Can electric fields penetrate through conductors?

No, electric fields cannot penetrate through conductors. Conductors act as shields, blocking the electric field from passing through them. This is why we use conductors in electrical wiring to prevent electric shocks.