Electric Circuits: Intro Book & Class Reviews

In summary, the conversation was about finding a good introductory electric circuits book. The individual had been reading reviews of the book Electric Circuits by James W. Nilsson and Susan Riedel and most were negative, so they did not purchase it. They were struggling in their class and were hoping a good textbook would help. Suggestions were made for other textbooks such as Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill and Fundamentals of Electric Circuits by Alexander and Sadiku. The individual also mentioned using online resources and the Schaum's Electric Circuits book as supplements. It was noted that the Schaum's book has many examples but may not be suitable as a main textbook. The conversation also discussed the difficulty level of the examples in different textbooks.
suspenc3
I was just wondering if someone knows of a good intro electric circuits book. My professor told us that there was no need to go out and by the book because he felt it is useless, and he also feels we shouldn't need a book. I have been reading a bunch of reviews of it and most of them arent good so I didnt buy it. The book is Electric Circuits by James W. Nilsson and Susan Riedel.

Also, if you have taken an intro elec. circuits class how did you find it? So far I find it terrible, I am doing fine in all my other classes but this is by far my worst class and I am not sure why, I am hoping having a text ill help me. It seems that in my notes, the only examples that he does are very basic, and then the assigment questions are much more complex, I don't even know where to start.

Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill

I'm sure a lot of theory on electric circuits people can find on the internet too

When I was an undergrad, the textbook used for basic circuits was also Nilsson and Riedel, and I was also not a fan. I am now at a different university for graduate school, and the text that they use for the equivalent course is Fundamentals of Electric Circuits by Alexander and Sadiku, which has good reviews on Amazon.com and has been recommended elsewhere in this forum. I have not used it myself, but according to someone I know who has, it is a decent textbook, but you need to be aware that some of the answers in the back of the book are wrong.

I believe every electrical engineer should own a copy of Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill, which has a little bit about everything, but it will not have enough depth on any specific topic to replace the textbook used for specific electrical engineering courses.

I will also recommend Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill. And since this a intro circuits course, you must be careful. It is vital that you understand the material here as these concepts will be used more vigorously as you get to higher level courses. Just do as much problems as you can at the end of every chapter. If you do the the book by Horowitz and Hill, you may also want to get the student solution manual. It might come in handy if you plan on doing chapter problems.

There also many ebooks and lectures on these topics that are available online. You can also use these as a supplement. I've collected a bunch of these links and archived them.

Last edited:
What about Schaum's Electric Circuits?

Has anyone used this book?

suspenc3 said:
What about Schaum's Electric Circuits?

Has anyone used this book?

Its a very good supplement, but its not written in a way to learn the entire course from. The good thing about the Schaum's books, is that they come with lots of examples.

Yea, that's what I read somewhere, fortunately I am not looking to learn the whole course form from the text, I am taking the class and I take good notes. Thats what I am looking for, something with a lot of examples, i definitely think I am going to try this out since its good and cheap!

Do the examples start out somewhat simple, and then progressively get harder?

Every other text I've looked at start out with pretty tough problems, at least for me.

Last edited:
Electric Circuits by Alexander and Sadiku is a very good text. You can pick up an old edition for cheap. Nilsson and Riedel is garbage.

Related to Electric Circuits: Intro Book & Class Reviews

1. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a closed loop through which electricity can flow. It consists of a power source, such as a battery, wires to carry the current, and various components such as resistors, capacitors, and switches.

2. What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

AC (alternating current) circuits have a constantly changing flow of electricity, while DC (direct current) circuits have a steady flow of electricity in one direction. AC is typically used for transmitting electricity over long distances, while DC is used for powering smaller devices.

3. How do I calculate the voltage, current, and resistance in a circuit?

Ohm's law states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). So, if you know any two of these values, you can calculate the third using the formula V = IR.

4. What are the most common components found in an electric circuit?

The most common components found in an electric circuit include resistors, capacitors, inductors, diodes, and transistors. These components can be combined in different ways to create a wide variety of circuits for different purposes.

5. Can you give an example of a real-life application of electric circuits?

Electric circuits are used in numerous devices that we use in our daily lives, such as cell phones, computers, and household appliances. They are also used in larger systems, such as power grids and transportation systems, to provide electricity for cities and transportation vehicles.