Electric charges and fields: Charged conducting spheres touching then separated

In summary: I'm a bit rusty.In summary, two charged metallic spheres of same size repel each other by a force F. After being touched and separated to the same initial distance, the new force of repulsion, F', can either be greater or less than the original force F. This is due to the redistribution of charges on the spheres upon touching, with the potential for the charges to either add up or cancel out. The equation for equalizing the charges is the conservation of charge, where the product of the initial charges equals the product of the new charges.
Ujjwal28

Homework Statement

Two charged metallic spheres of same size repel each other by a force F. They are now touched with each other and are then separated to same initial distance. Now the force of repulsion is F'.

Homework Equations

On touching the spheres will reduce their charges... So the new force of repulsion should be less than the original one... Which is the case but there is also one more case in which the new force F' is greater than original force F. How is that possible?

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I got the first part correct that F' may be less than F. But I'm stuck here.. How can F' be possibly be larger than F?
When the charges do get distributed on touching.. Any help will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ujjwal28 said:

Homework Statement

Two charged metallic spheres of same size repel each other by a force F. They are now touched with each other and are then separated to same initial distance. Now the force of repulsion is F'. [/B]

Homework Equations

On touching the spheres will reduce their charges... So the new force of repulsion should be less than the original one... Which is the case but there is also one more case in which the new force F' is greater than original force F. How is that possible? [/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I got the first part correct that F' may be less than F. But I'm stuck here.. How can F' be possibly be larger than F?
When the charges do get distributed on touching.. Any help will be appreciated. [/B]
Hello Ujjwal28. Welcome to PF !

Is this the complete question?

It doesn't seem like they both reduce their charges. If the charges are of the same sign, then the charge one will decrease, and that of the other will increase upon touching.

Well yes this is the complete question. And what would he the new charges on a sphere A and B upon touching if.. Initially they carry 2 and 3 coulomb charge respectively? And in what case will the new force of repulsion F' be greater than before?

Last edited:
PleAse get back to me

Ujjwal28 said:
Well yes this is the complete question. And what would he the new charges on a sphere A and B upon touching if.. Initially they carry 2 and 3 coulomb charge respectively? And in what case will the new force of repulsion F' be greater than before?
What is the result of the touching of two identical spherical conductors, one with initial charge of 2 C the other with 3 C ?

Can I get someone to explain to me how this is able to break Newtons action-reaction laws?

How is F able to change just by equaling out the charge? If the balls both start positive then I would think they would have the same force before and after touching.

MullaTheMech said:
Can I get someone to explain to me how this is able to break Newtons action-reaction laws?

How is F able to change just by equaling out the charge? If the balls both start positive then I would think they would have the same force before and after touching.
Take some example and calculate the force before and after equalization.

If you still have a question come back, but it's likely that starting a new thread of your own would be more appropriate.

Sorry his question intrigued me.
My comments should probably get deleted.
With conservation of charge I thought that two objects with a positive charge would always repel each other with the same force even after touching. I would like to know the equation for equaling out charges.
I'll be waiting for Ujjwal to post what the charge for A & B are after the 2 & 3 coulomb balls touch.
I thought it was going to be simple and you just had to add them up and divide by 2.

MullaTheMech said:
Sorry his question intrigued me.
My comments should probably get deleted.
With conservation of charge I thought that two objects with a positive charge would always repel each other with the same force even after touching. I would like to know the equation for equaling out charges.
I'll be waiting for Ujjwal to post what the charge for A & B are after the 2 & 3 coulomb balls touch.
I thought it was going to be simple and you just had to add them up and divide by 2.
Yes, conservation of charge gives the result in your final sentence.

Right... so I'm thinking I understand this. It seems I've given too much away. I hope you also understand it now Ujjwal.

Not really! Ok so if two spheres having charges +2 coulomb and +3 coulomb are touched, after touching will the charges become 2.5 coulomb on both? Or am I doing something wrong?

Ujjwal28 said:
Not really! Ok so if two spheres having charges +2 coulomb and +3 coulomb are touched, after touching will the charges become 2.5 coulomb on both? Or am I doing something wrong?
Yes, that's correct.

Ok so if that's true then.
Let's take the following case:
1-
Before touching sphere A has a charge of 2C and sphere B has a charge 3C. After touching the charges on both become 2.5C. So..
Repulsion before touching =6.k/r2and repulsion after touching =6.25.k/r2.okay so this proves how F' ( new repulsion) can be greater than F ( original repulsion).But how then F' can be less than F.. Can you please explain me that case?

Please get back to me

When would be the repulsion less than before??

1C×4C=4C
After touching
2.5C×2.5C=6.25C

But I don't think you have to use whole numbers

Is this giving too much away still?

Well that explains after touching the repulsion increases but there is also a case in which repulsion decreases after touching. Can you explain me that case?

Whoops I was doing mental math... not good.
I was thinking starting with decimals would get you there. Sorry for confusing you. The guys on this site are usually much better at helping.

Well that explains after touching the repulsion increases but there is also a case in which repulsion decreases after touching. Can you explain me that case?

Get back to me please

Get back to me gentlemen...

If both charges are positive, Q1*Q2 is never greater than ((Q1+Q2)/2)^2. It is easy to prove. It is also known as "the geometric mean less or equal to the arithmetic mean".
The initial repulsion force is F = k Q1*Q2/r2. After the charges become equal, the force is F ' = k((Q1+Q2)/2)2 ≥ F.
This is valid, when the spheres are so far from each other that the charge distribution is not changed by the other sphere.

Related to Electric charges and fields: Charged conducting spheres touching then separated

1. How do electric charges interact with one another?

The interaction between two charged objects is governed by the fundamental law of electricity called Coulomb's Law. This law states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. What happens when two charged conducting spheres touch and then are separated?

When two charged conducting spheres touch, they will share their charges and reach an equilibrium state where the charges are evenly distributed between them. When they are separated, each sphere will retain the charge it acquired from the other sphere, resulting in two oppositely charged spheres.

3. How does the distance between two charged spheres affect the strength of the electric force between them?

The strength of the electric force between two charged spheres is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the spheres increases, the force between them decreases.

4. Can the electric charge of a conducting sphere be changed?

Yes, the electric charge of a conducting sphere can be changed by connecting it to a source of electricity, such as a battery. The charge can also be changed by rubbing the sphere with another object, which can transfer some of its charge to the sphere.

5. What is the role of electric fields in the interaction between charged conducting spheres?

Electric fields play a crucial role in the interaction between charged conducting spheres. The charged spheres create electric fields around them, and these fields exert forces on each other, causing the spheres to either attract or repel each other depending on their charges. The strength and direction of the electric fields determine the strength and direction of the forces between the spheres.