Elastic vs inelastic collisions formulas

In summary, when doing practice problems from a textbook, confusion may arise when dealing with different types of collisions. However, there are formulas and tricks that can be used to solve these equations, such as momentum conservation and energy conservation. It is important to note that the term "elastic" in physics does not always refer to something stretchy, but rather to collisions involving hard objects. In summary, understanding these concepts can help in solving equations for different types of collisions.
oneplusone
When doing practice problems from my textbook, I often get confused with both of them.
MOre specifically there are usually formulas which pertain to only one of those types of collisions.

Ex: [itex] (v_1-v_2)_i = -(v_1-v_2)_f [/itex]

Does anyone know more of these types of formulas, or tricks to solve these equations?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
oneplusone said:
Does anyone know more of these types of formulas
Sure, your textbook.

or tricks to solve these equations?
- you can always use momentum conservation
- in elastic collisions, you can use energy conservation in addition
- in perfectly inelastic collisions, the objects stick together afterwards, so they have the same velocity
- in the center of mass system, all those collisions are easy to study

All equations are just a result of those ideas.

Elastic collisions: KE is conserved, momentum is conserved
Inelastic collisions: KE is not conserved, momentum is conserved.
This is a reasonable starting point

Also, don't be confused by the word "elastic." In common usage, "elastic" is like a rubber band or a balloon, that is, something "stretchy." BUT, when we say "elastic collision" in physics, examples are hard steel ball bearings (like you see in a Newton's Cradle toy) or billiard balls. Collisions of soft stretchy things (like soft rubber balls) are likely to be "inelastic." Confusing? I thought so when I learned this stuff the first time.

elastic collision

if masses of two objects is same than in elastic collision there velocities get interchanged and if masses are not equal than you can use the formula which u have given for elastic collision.

Related to Elastic vs inelastic collisions formulas

What is the formula for calculating the velocity of objects in an elastic collision?

The formula for calculating the velocity of objects in an elastic collision is: v1f = (m1 - m2)v1i + 2m2v2i / (m1 + m2). This formula takes into account the masses and initial velocities of both objects.

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

Elastic collisions are collisions where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, meaning that the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy. Inelastic collisions, on the other hand, involve a loss of kinetic energy due to deformation or other factors.

Can the coefficient of restitution be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficient of restitution (e) can be greater than 1 in an elastic collision. This would indicate a collision where the objects bounce off each other with a greater velocity than their initial velocities.

How do you calculate the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution can be calculated using the formula: e = (v1f - v2f) / (v2i - v1i). This formula takes into account the final velocities of both objects and their initial velocities.

What are some real-life examples of inelastic collisions?

Some real-life examples of inelastic collisions include a car crash, a ball hitting the ground and not bouncing back to its original height, and a bullet being shot into a block of wood and sticking inside the wood. These collisions involve a loss of kinetic energy due to deformation or other factors.