Elastic Potential Energy of a Spring Between 2 Blocks

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem in which two blocks, A and B, are forced together compressing a spring between them. The system is then released and the spring, with negligible mass, expands causing block B to acquire a speed of 1.20 m/s. Part A asks for the final velocity of block A, which is found to be 3.6 m/s using the equation mavai + mbvbi = mavaf + mbvbf. Part B asks for the potential energy stored in the compressed spring, and after some trial and error, it is determined to be 8.64 by using the equation KE = 1/2mv^2 to find the kinetic energy of the two blocks and then
mac31905

Homework Statement

Here's the question:
Block A in the figure below has mass 1.00 kg, and block B has mass 3.00 kg. The blocks are forced together, compressing a spring S between them; then the system is released from rest on a level, frictionless surface. The spring, which has negligible mass, is not fastened to either block and drops to the surface after it has expanded. Block B acquires a speed of 1.20 m/s.

Part A: It asked for the final velocity of block A, and I used the mavai + mbvbi = mavaf + mbvbf equation to find A's final velocity of 3.6 m/s.
mavai = 0, mbvbi = 0, ma = 1kg, mb = 3 kg, vbf = -1.20m/s
0 = (1 kg)(Vaf)+(3kg)(-1.20m/s)
0 = 1kg(Vaf) -3.6kgm/s
3.6kgm/s = 1kg(Vaf)
Vaf = 3.6 m/s

Part B: The second part of the question is asking for how much potential energy was stored in the compressed spring... and I have no idea how to find it! I've tried different equations but I have too many unknown variables and don't know where to start.

Homework Equations

For Part B:
PE(elastic) = 1/2kx^2 (this seems like the one to use, but how do I find k and x?)
KE = 1/2mv^2 (I don't think I have to find KE to find PE... though I do know m and v.)
GPE = mgh (and nope, this is gravitational potential energy. And plus, I don't have h.)

The Attempt at a Solution

So... if I do indeed use the PE(elastic equation), where in the world do I find k? I know it is the force (spring) constant, but I am unsure as to how to get it from the information given. Also, x is the compressed distance from it's uncompressed state.
*To find the force constant, I'd use this equation: F(spring) = -kx, but I don't have F, nor do I know x.

*And the question says nothing about how long the spring is when it's compressed/not compressed!

It just seems like I am not given enough information, even though that must be false since it's a homework question...

I've been stuck on this for a long time, and I'm so tempted to click "Show answer" on Mastering Physics but that won't help me to understand it, so hopefully one of you guys can help point me in the right direction :smile: I just need to figure out k and x and I'm good! I'm not asking for the answer, just an equation or something to get me started. Thanks! My test is tomorrow and I'd really appreciate some help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mac31905 said:
For Part B:
PE(elastic) = 1/2kx^2 (this seems like the one to use, but how do I find k and x?)

Yes, it is hard to use this equation if you know neither k nor x.

KE = 1/2mv^2 (I don't think I have to find KE to find PE... though I do know m and v.)

Let's add a new question saying find the KE of the two blocks.

Now (after the spring drops), you have some kinetic energy. What is the source of this kinetic energy?

naresh said:
Yes, it is hard to use this equation if you know neither k nor x.

Let's add a new question saying find the KE of the two blocks.

Now (after the spring drops), you have some kinetic energy. What is the source of this kinetic energy?

Hmm... it seems to me that the blocks would be moving after the spring drops. Therefore, the blocks would have some kinetic energy, right? Maybe the source of the KE would be the spring decompressing?

Let me see:

If I use the KE = 1/2mv^2 formula to find the KE of the blocks (if I'm going in the correct direction), then it'd be KE(block a) = 1/2(1kg)(3.6m/s^2); KE(block b) = 1/2(3kg)(-1.20m/s^2)

KEblocka = 6.48
KEblockb = 2.16

So maybe total KE = 6.48+2.16 = 8.64? I have no idea...

HOORAY! I tried my value of 8.64 and it worked! All that stress for a simple equation. Thanks Naresh! I can move on to my other problems now :)

I'm glad it worked, but do you understand why it worked? Why should the sum of the kinetic energies give you the potential energy?

Related to Elastic Potential Energy of a Spring Between 2 Blocks

1. What is elastic potential energy?

Elastic potential energy is a type of energy that is stored in an object when it is stretched or compressed. It is a result of the elastic properties of the object, meaning that it can return to its original shape after the force causing the deformation is removed.

2. How is elastic potential energy calculated?

The formula for calculating elastic potential energy is: E = 1/2 kx^2, where E is the elastic potential energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the object from its equilibrium position. This formula applies to a spring between two blocks as well.

3. What is the relationship between elastic potential energy and the displacement of the object?

As mentioned in the formula, the elastic potential energy is directly proportional to the square of the displacement of the object. This means that as the displacement increases, the elastic potential energy also increases.

4. How does the mass of the blocks affect the elastic potential energy?

The mass of the blocks does not directly affect the elastic potential energy. However, it does impact the amount of force required to stretch or compress the spring, which in turn affects the displacement and thus the elastic potential energy.

5. Can elastic potential energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, elastic potential energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy. When the force causing the deformation is removed, the stored elastic potential energy is released and can be used to do work, such as moving the blocks.