Elastic Collision with objects of equal masses

In summary, the problem involves solving for the velocity and angles of two masses after a collision. Three equations are used, including conservation of momentum and energy, but the two unknown angles pose a challenge. However, using the distance between the center of the circles and the radius, one angle can be calculated. This angle, along with the conservation of momentum, can then be used to solve for the magnitude of each velocity.
Zoidberg3001

Homework Statement

Solve for the Velocity of each mass after the collision.

Homework Equations

Pi = Pf
Ki = Kf

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I've tried setting up a system of equations to solve for the unknown velocity and angles. The problem is that I can't seem to find either unknown angle. I know that momentum for each axis must be conserved and that total energy must be conserved. That gives me three equations but I can't figure out how to solve for both the velocity and the angles. I do know that θ1 + θ2 = 90°

h0iIVBm.png

Physics news on Phys.org
In which direction is the force acting on ##m_2## during the collision directed?

45° below the horizon? I know it has something to do with this I'm just at a complete loss.

Zoidberg3001 said:
45° below the horizon? I know it has something to do with this I'm just at a complete loss.

What makes you say 45°? What is your rationale behind this? Can you make a geometric argument?

I can't but I think I see what your getting at. Because we know the distance between the center of the circles we should be able to calculate the angle. Using (.35/2)m and radius of .5m I get an angle 20.5 degrees below the horizon.

So, this gives you an angle. What will you do with it?

It gives me the angle of ∅2 and by extension ∅1. Because there are no other forces acting on m2 the impulse is in the same direction as the force, which also means that the momentum will be in the same direction. From there, using the conservation of momentum in both the x and y direction I can easily solve for the magnitude of each velocity.

Indeed, too bad I am always unable to put this into practise at the pool table ... :rolleyes:
(Although billiard ball collisions obviously are not elastic ...)

Related to Elastic Collision with objects of equal masses

1. What is an elastic collision with objects of equal masses?

An elastic collision with objects of equal masses is a type of collision in which two objects of equal masses collide with each other and bounce off with no loss of kinetic energy. This means that the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision remains the same.

2. What is the difference between an elastic collision and an inelastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy of the system remains the same before and after the collision, while in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost and converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound.

3. How is momentum conserved in an elastic collision with objects of equal masses?

In an elastic collision with objects of equal masses, the total momentum of the system is conserved. This means that the total momentum of the two objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum of the two objects after the collision.

4. What is the formula for calculating the velocities of two objects after an elastic collision with equal masses?

The formula for calculating the velocities of two objects after an elastic collision with equal masses is: v1f = [(m1-m2)v1i + 2m2v2i]/(m1+m2) and v2f = [(m2-m1)v2i + 2m1v1i]/(m1+m2)

5. Can an elastic collision occur between objects of different masses?

Yes, an elastic collision can occur between objects of different masses. However, the velocities of the objects after the collision will not be equal. The object with a smaller mass will experience a larger change in velocity compared to the object with a larger mass.