Eigenvectors, does order matter?

In summary, eigenvectors can be any scalar multiple of the original vector and the order of the components in the vector does not matter.
charlies1902
I got 2 questions about eigenvectors.

Let's say you have an eigenvector [1 0 2]^t.

1. Does the order matter? Like can I change the order to [0 1 2]^t or [1 2 0]^t?

2. It can be any scalar multiple of the vector right? Like I could have [2 0 4] or [4 0 8]

Physics news on Phys.org
charlies1902 said:
I got 2 questions about eigenvectors.

Let's say you have an eigenvector [1 0 2]^t.

1. Does the order matter? Like can I change the order to [0 1 2]^t or [1 2 0]^t?

2. It can be any scalar multiple of the vector right? Like I could have [2 0 4] or [4 0 8]

Scalar multiples are still eigenvectors, sure. Show me why. Does order of the components in the vector matter? What would make you think it doesn't??

The vector <1, 0, 0> is NOT the same as the vector <0, 1, 0> which appears to be what you are asking!

Related to Eigenvectors, does order matter?

1. What are Eigenvectors?

Eigenvectors are special vectors that represent the direction of a linear transformation without changing its direction. They are often used in the field of linear algebra to analyze and solve complex systems of equations.

2. How are Eigenvectors calculated?

Eigenvectors are calculated by finding the non-zero solutions to the equation A*v = λ*v, where A is a square matrix, v is the eigenvector, and λ is the corresponding eigenvalue. This can be done through various methods such as the power method or the QR algorithm.

3. What is the significance of Eigenvectors?

Eigenvectors are significant because they provide a way to understand and analyze complex systems of equations. They also have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

4. Does the order of Eigenvectors matter?

Yes, the order of Eigenvectors does matter. The corresponding eigenvalues and eigenvectors must be in the same order to correctly represent the linear transformation. Changing the order can result in incorrect calculations and interpretations.

5. Can Eigenvectors be used for any matrix?

No, Eigenvectors can only be calculated for square matrices. The dimensions of the matrix must be n x n in order to find n eigenvectors and their corresponding eigenvalues.