Eigenvalues and Norms: Showing Existence of a Nonsingular Matrix

• Thread starter xeno_gear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Eigenvalues
In summary, the problem is to show that for any \varepsilon > 0, there exists a nonsingular X \in \mathbb{C}^{n \times n} such that \|X^{-1}AX\|_2 \le \rho + \varepsilon, where \rho = \max_{1 \le i \le n}|\lambda_i| and \lambda_i are the eigenvalues of A. The approach involves using the spectral radius of A and its relationship to the induced 2-norm. The Jordan Normal Form Theorem may also be useful in solving this problem.
xeno_gear

Homework Statement

Let [tex] A \in \mathbb{C}^{n \times n}[/tex] and set [tex] \rho = \max_{1 \le i \le n}|\lambda_i|[/tex], where [tex]\lambda_i \, (i = 1, 2, \dots, n)[/tex] are the eigenvalues of [tex] A[/tex]. Show that for any [tex] \varepsilon > 0[/tex] there exists a nonsingular [tex] X \in \mathbb{C}^{n \times n}[/tex] such that [tex] \|X^{-1}AX\|_2 \le \rho + \varepsilon[/tex].

Homework Equations

[tex] \| \cdot \|_2 [/tex] is the induced 2-norm.

The Attempt at a Solution

Not much.. I know that [tex] \rho[/tex] is the spectral radius, and as such is equal to the infimum of all the (induced) norms of [tex] A[/tex]. Also, I know that [tex] A[/tex] and [tex] X^{-1}AX[/tex] have the same eigenvalue properties (eigenvalues, spectral radius, algebraic and geometric multiplicities) since they're similar matrices. I can't quite figure out how to use these though. Any thoughts? Thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
Try and diagonalise you matrix A, and then use [tex]P[/tex] as the matrix of eigenvectors, and look at [tex]X=P\cdot U[/tex] then you can look at diagonal matrices, then i think it should be just a matter of differentiation.

I could be wrong though.

[tex] A [/tex] is arbitrary and isn't necessarily diagonalizable. There's an SVD and a Schur factorization though.

Forget my suggestion: it doesn't work.

Related to Eigenvalues and Norms: Showing Existence of a Nonsingular Matrix

1. What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are a mathematical concept used in linear algebra. Eigenvalues refer to the special scalars that are associated with a matrix, while eigenvectors are the corresponding non-zero vectors. Together, they represent the characteristic behavior of a linear transformation.

2. How are eigenvalues and eigenvectors calculated?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors can be calculated by solving the characteristic equation of a matrix, which involves finding the roots of a polynomial equation. This can be done by hand or by using specialized software or calculators.

3. What is the significance of eigenvalues and eigenvectors in data analysis?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are commonly used in data analysis, particularly in principal component analysis (PCA). They help to identify the most important variables or features in a dataset, by representing them in a lower-dimensional space.

4. What is a matrix norm?

A matrix norm is a mathematical concept that assigns a size or magnitude to a matrix. It is similar to the absolute value of a scalar, but takes into account the size and values of all the elements in a matrix. Matrix norms are used to measure the error or the distance between matrices.

5. How are norms used in linear algebra?

Norms are used in linear algebra to measure the size or magnitude of vectors and matrices. They are used in various calculations and proofs, such as determining the convergence of iterative methods or finding the condition number of a matrix. Norms also play a crucial role in defining the concept of orthogonality in vector spaces.