Eigenfunctions of Laplace Transform

In summary, the conversation discusses a calculus-y equation related to differential equations. The main question is which functions and real constants have the property that the integral of the function multiplied by e^(-s*t) is equal to the function itself for all values of s. The conversation also mentions using induction on n and the possibility of using Caputo fractional derivative. The person asking for help is looking for additional information and mentions one possible eigenfunction.
Whovian
Firstly, if this is an inappropriate forum for this thread, feel free to move it. This is a calculus-y equation related to differential equations, but I don't believe it's strictly a differential equation.

The question I'm asking is which functions ##f:\left[0,\infty\right)\rightarrow\mathbb{R}## and real constants ##\lambda## have the property that ##\int_0^\infty\left(f\left(t\right)\cdot e^{-s\cdot t}\right)\cdot\mathrm{d}t=f\left(s\right)## for all ##s## in some open interval.

The question was left somewhat open-ended in this old thread, but since it was from 6 years ago, I felt reviving it would be somewhat unnecessary.

Induction on ##n## gives us the apparently trivial condition that ##\int_0^\infty\left(\left(-t\right)^n\cdot e^{-s\cdot t}\cdot f\left(t\right)\right)\cdot\mathrm{d}t=\lambda\cdot f^{\left(n\right)}\left(s\right)##; the left hand side seems to be screaming Caputo fractional derivative, so perhaps this is of some use. That's basically all I've got.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

One eigenfunction (if I recall correctly) is [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{t}}[/itex]; I recall working this out in a complex analysis homework assignment but don't recall the eigenvalue. Others may exist - try looking in large tables of Laplace Transforms and you may find others.

jason

Related to Eigenfunctions of Laplace Transform

1. What is the Laplace transform and why is it important in mathematics?

The Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is important because it allows for the analysis and solution of differential equations, which are used to model many physical and mathematical systems.

2. How are eigenfunctions related to the Laplace transform?

Eigenfunctions of the Laplace transform refer to functions that, when transformed, result in a scaled version of the original function. These eigenfunctions are important in solving differential equations with the Laplace transform method.

3. What is the significance of the eigenfunctions of the Laplace transform?

The eigenfunctions of the Laplace transform are important because they form a complete and orthogonal set of functions. This means that any function can be expressed as a linear combination of these eigenfunctions, which simplifies the solution of differential equations using the Laplace transform.

4. How do eigenfunctions of the Laplace transform relate to the Laplace transform inversion?

The Laplace transform inversion is the process of converting a function in the frequency domain back to the time domain. The eigenfunctions of the Laplace transform are used in this process to decompose the frequency domain function into its constituent parts.

5. Are there any real-world applications of eigenfunctions of the Laplace transform?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of the eigenfunctions of the Laplace transform. For example, they are used in electrical engineering to analyze and design electrical circuits, in chemical engineering to model reaction kinetics, and in physics to study the behavior of vibrating systems.