Ehrenfest theorem and the hydrogen atom

In summary: In my opinion, that is a gross trivialization of Bohr's contribution to the development of QM and atomic theory.
qsa
Is there any derivation of the bohr model for hydrogen using Ehrenfest theorem. References are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
qsa said:
Is there any derivation of the bohr model for hydrogen using Ehrenfest theorem. References are appreciated.

The Bohr model was an (incorrect) empirical model based solely on observations (as well as Coulomb's Law), so I doubt there is any "derivation" of it using the Ehrenfest theorem. Also, I am not positive, but I would guess that the Bohr model pre-dates the Ehrenfest theorem by a non-negligible amount.

SpectraCat said:
The Bohr model was an (incorrect) empirical model based solely on observations (as well as Coulomb's Law), so I doubt there is any "derivation" of it using the Ehrenfest theorem. Also, I am not positive, but I would guess that the Bohr model pre-dates the Ehrenfest theorem by a non-negligible amount.

Thanks for the reply. of course, your points are correct, but still bohr model gives a good classical approximation. I wounder what happens if one tries, where would you think the difficulty be? They do seem to be related via the Correspondence_principle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ehrenfest_theorem

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correspondence_principle

I believe not from the Ehrenfest theorem, but from quantum mechanics.

Take a look at chapters 31 and 34 of http://www.cns.gatech.edu/ChaosBook/. The Bohr-Sommerfeld quantization condition is reached in Eq 34.15.

The Ehrenfest Theorem is a sharp result proven quite recently (2009/2010) starting from the Schrödinger equation.

It's a mere coincidence that the results of Bohr 1913 were also obtained by Pauli 1925 and Schrödinger 1926, as we now know that Bohr's assumptions are invalid.

There's no derivation of Bohr's assumptions from quantum mechanics.

dextercioby said:
It's a mere coincidence that the results of Bohr 1913 were also obtained by Pauli 1925 and Schrödinger 1926, as we now know that Bohr's assumptions are invalid.

I would disagree with that .. it was more than "mere coincidence". Bohr based his model on empirical observations, and thus *required* that the energy spacing between the atomic levels matched the observed frequencies in the hydrogen spectrum. Thus his hypothesis about the energy levels of the atom being quantized was correct, and (NOT coincidentally) is the only part of his theory that agrees with the "correct" version of the theory developed later.

Obviously he knew how the lines are distributed in both the visible (Balmer) and invisible spectrum, then he only <fine tuned> his assumptions based on the quantization idea by Planck & Einstein. But nothing more.

dextercioby said:
Obviously he knew how the lines are distributed in both the visible (Balmer) and invisible spectrum, then he only <fine tuned> his assumptions based on the quantization idea by Planck & Einstein. But nothing more.

In my opinion, that is a gross trivialization of Bohr's contribution to the development of QM and atomic theory. It's true that many of the approaches and ideas incorporated into "old QM" turned out to be incorrect to one degree or another, but at the very least, "old QM" provided a foil for the subsequent development of correct QM theories.

Related to Ehrenfest theorem and the hydrogen atom

1. What is the Ehrenfest theorem and why is it important?

The Ehrenfest theorem is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of expectation values of observables in a quantum system. It is important because it allows us to connect the classical and quantum descriptions of a system, and provides a way to understand the behavior of quantum systems in terms of classical concepts.

2. How does the Ehrenfest theorem relate to the hydrogen atom?

The Ehrenfest theorem can be applied to the hydrogen atom by considering the expectation values of observables such as position, momentum, and energy. This allows us to gain insight into the behavior of the hydrogen atom and understand its properties in terms of classical concepts.

3. What is the mathematical expression of the Ehrenfest theorem?

The mathematical expression of the Ehrenfest theorem is given by:

d<O>/dt = (1/ihbar)<[H,O]> + <dO/dt>

where <O> represents the expectation value of observable O, H is the Hamiltonian operator, [H,O] is the commutator of H and O, and <dO/dt> is the time derivative of the observable O.

4. How does the Ehrenfest theorem help us understand the behavior of the hydrogen atom?

The Ehrenfest theorem allows us to calculate the time evolution of expectation values of observables in the hydrogen atom, such as the position, momentum, and energy. This helps us understand how these properties change over time and how they relate to each other, providing insight into the behavior of the hydrogen atom.

5. Can the Ehrenfest theorem be generalized to other quantum systems?

Yes, the Ehrenfest theorem can be generalized to any quantum system, not just the hydrogen atom. It is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that applies to all systems and allows us to connect classical and quantum descriptions of a system.