Efficient Line Integral Computation on Cartesian Coordinates

In summary, vector calculus is a topic that I have forgotten over the summer and I want to make sure I am doing it correctly.
FrogPad
In my emag course we are reviewing vector calculus. I've forgotton a lot over the summer, so I just want to make sure I'm doing this properly.

question)
[tex] \vec E = \hat x y + \hat y x [/tex]
Evaluate [itex] \int \vec E \cdot d\vec l [/itex] from [itex] P_1(2,1,-1) [/itex] to [itex] P_2(8,2,-1) [/itex] along the parabola [itex] x = 2y^2 [/itex].

sol)
We are in cartesian coordinates, thus:
[tex] d\vec l = \hat x dx + \hat y dy [/tex]
[tex] \vec E \cdot d\vec l = ydx + xdy [/tex]

Our path is:
[tex] x=2y^2 [/tex]
[tex] y=\sqrt{\frac{x}{2}}[/tex]

Thus,
[tex] \int_2^8 \sqrt{\frac{x}{2}}\,\,dx + \int_1^2 2y^2 \,\,dy = \frac{28}{3}+\frac{14}{3}=14 [/tex]Does everything look ok?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To me yes.

Cool. Another question if you wouldn't mind checking :)

question)
Evaluate,
[tex] \oint_S \hat R 3 \sin \theta \cdot d\vec s [/tex]

over the surface of a sphere with radius 5 centered at the orgin.

ans)
This question is in spherical coordinates. The notation used is in the format [itex] (R, \phi, \theta) [/itex]

[tex]d\vec s = \hat R R^2 \sin \theta \,d\theta d\phi + \hat \phi R \,dR d\theta + \hat \theta R \sin \theta \,dR d\phi [/tex]

[tex] \hat R3\sin \theta \cdot d\vec s = (R^2 \sin \theta d\theta d\phi)(3\sin \theta) = 3R^2 \sin^2 \theta d\theta d\phi [/tex]

For our surface we have,
[tex]R=5[/tex]
[tex] 0 \leq \phi \leq 2\pi [/tex]
[tex] 0 \leq \theta \leq \pi [/tex]

The integral becomes,
[tex] 3(25) \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^\pi \sin^2 \theta \,\, d \theta d\phi = 75\pi^2 [/tex]

Does this look ok also?

Last edited:
Correct also. Note that a faster approach is to see that since [itex]d\vec{s}[/itex] is the vector ds times the unit vector perpendicular to the surface, it is actually just

[tex]\hat{R}ds=\hat{R}R^2sin\theta d\theta d\phi[/tex]

Thanks man :smile:

I always appreciate your help :)

No prob! It helps me to keep this stuff fresh in my memory too ;)

FrogPad said:
In my emag course we are reviewing vector calculus. I've forgotton a lot over the summer, so I just want to make sure I'm doing this properly.

question)
[tex] \vec E = \hat x y + \hat y x [/tex]
Evaluate [itex] \int \vec E \cdot d\vec l [/itex] from [itex] P_1(2,1,-1) [/itex] to [itex] P_2(8,2,-1) [/itex] along the parabola [itex] x = 2y^2 [/itex].

sol)
We are in cartesian coordinates, thus:
[tex] d\vec l = \hat x dx + \hat y dy [/tex]
[tex] \vec E \cdot d\vec l = ydx + xdy [/tex]

Our path is:
[tex] x=2y^2 [/tex]
[tex] y=\sqrt{\frac{x}{2}}[/tex]

Thus,
[tex] \int_2^8 \sqrt{\frac{x}{2}}\,\,dx + \int_1^2 2y^2 \,\,dy = \frac{28}{3}+\frac{14}{3}=14 [/tex]

Does everything look ok?
Yes, but I wouldn't do it that way, because I dislike square roots!
I would do everything in terms of y: [itex]\hat l= (2y^2)\hat x+ y\hat y[/itex] so [itex]d\hat l= (4y)dy \hat x+ dy \hat y[/itex] and [itex]\vec E= y \hat x+ x\hat y= y\hat x+ 2y^2 \hat y[/itex]

[tex]\vec E \cdot d\hat l= (4y^2)dy+ (2y^2)dy= 6y^2 dy[/tex]
Since, to go from (2, 1, -1) to (8, 2, -1), y must go from 1 to 2, the integral is
[tex]\int_1^2 6y^2 dy= 2y^3\right|_1^2= 16- 2= 14[/itex]
just as you got.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, but I wouldn't do it that way, because I dislike square roots!
I would do everything in terms of y: [itex]\hat l= (2y^2)\hat x+ y\hat y[/itex] so [itex]d\hat l= (4y)dy \hat x+ dy \hat y[/itex] and [itex]\vec E= y \hat x+ x\hat y= y\hat x+ 2y^2 \hat y[/itex]

[tex]\vec E \cdot d\hat l= (4y^2)dy+ (2y^2)dy= 6y^2 dy[/tex]
Since, to go from (2, 1, -1) to (8, 2, -1), y must go from 1 to 2, the integral is
[tex]\int_1^2 6y^2 dy= 2y^3\right|_1^2= 16- 2= 14[/itex]
just as you got.

Nice. I'll try this on some of the other review questions. Thank you :smile:

Related to Efficient Line Integral Computation on Cartesian Coordinates

1. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of mathematical tool used to calculate the total value of a function along a given curve or line. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the function at each point along the curve.

2. What makes a line integral "really simple"?

A "really simple" line integral is one in which the curve is a straight line and the function being integrated is a constant. In this case, the integral can be calculated easily using basic algebraic methods.

3. How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral is used to find the area under a curve, while a line integral is used to find the total value of a function along a specific curve. A line integral also takes into account the direction of the curve, whereas a regular integral does not.

4. What are some real-world applications of line integrals?

Line integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are used to calculate work done by a force along a given path, electric and magnetic field strengths, and fluid flow rates, among others.

5. Can line integrals be calculated in higher dimensions?

Yes, line integrals can be extended to higher dimensions, such as in 3D space. In this case, the curve becomes a 3D path and the integral takes into account the function's value in three dimensions.