Efficient Email Usage: Solutions to Annoying Time Wasters

• Thread starter mathwonk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration of having to wait a minute before responding to personal emails, as a way to prevent spam. The individual feels that this is a waste of time and questions why they should be penalized for responding quickly. However, another user explains that this is necessary to prevent spam and the system is not flexible enough to make exceptions for trusted users.
mathwonk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I try to be a good citizen and answer personal emails that come my way. So today I had two. I typed a quick answer to the first one and went on to the second one and tried to send it only to be told i had to wait a minute or so before answering that one. That is annoying and a waste of my time and a deterrent to me being a good citizen. Sorry to complain, but that wastes my time. Is there an easy solution? Why should we be penalized for answering internal emails quickly? thanks.

To be fair, a minute of my time is not much waste, it is rather the mental energy that is wasted that feels so frustrating.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean e-mails or PMs?

private messages. thanks.

+1.

Not a big deal, but I do feel no time limits would be one of the perks of being a paying member.

I can easily report several threads in less than a minute. Waiting 45 more seconds is a pain.

Sixty seconds prevents spam via PM.

isn't that sort of a crude way to prevent spam, limiting the response time of longtime members?

mathwonk said:
isn't that sort of a crude way to prevent spam, limiting the response time of longtime members?
Sometimes we have to go crude to beat the spam, the recent change to a 10 post minimum for posting links reflects this (the level of "Episode X Series Y" spam exploded). Personally I've never encountered this problem and doing a quick test I can't see it either. Is the problem that you cannot send more than one PM per minute?

mathwonk said:

Yes, sorry to frustrate you. The system just isn't flexible enough to make exceptions for trusted users.

Thanks for the education. I can live with it.

Related to Efficient Email Usage: Solutions to Annoying Time Wasters

1. Why is email etiquette important?

Email etiquette is important because it sets a standard for professional and respectful communication. It helps to avoid misunderstandings, confusion, and potential conflicts between individuals or within an organization. Additionally, proper email etiquette can enhance your professional image and credibility.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using email?

Common mistakes to avoid when using email include using an unprofessional or inappropriate tone, sending emails to the wrong recipients, not proofreading for spelling and grammar errors, and using all caps or excessive punctuation. It is also important to avoid forwarding chain emails or sending large attachments without permission.

3. How can I ensure my emails are secure?

To ensure the security of your emails, use a strong and unique password for your email account. Be cautious when opening emails from unknown senders or clicking on links and attachments. You can also use email encryption services to protect the content of your emails.

4. Is it necessary to respond to every email I receive?

No, it is not necessary to respond to every email you receive. However, it is important to respond to emails that require your attention or response in a timely manner. If you receive an email that does not require a response, it is courteous to acknowledge it with a brief reply.

5. How can I organize my emails more efficiently?

To organize your emails more efficiently, you can create folders to categorize and store different types of emails. You can also use filters or rules to automatically sort incoming emails into specific folders. Additionally, regularly deleting or archiving old emails can help to declutter your inbox.