Effective potential and geodesics in G.R.

In summary, the geodesics around a spherical mass in general relativity can be described by an equation involving the effective potential and a constant called \mathcal{E}. The effective potential is a function of the particle's energy and angular momentum, and determines whether or not the particle can reach the center of the mass. For photons, the energy is zero and for massive particles it is one. The presence of a barrier in the effective potential can prevent particles with sufficient angular momentum from falling into the mass, causing them to spiral around it instead. The amount of spiralling depends on the particle's angular momentum, with higher values resulting in less spiralling.
dianaj
The geodesics around a spherical mass (Schwarzschild solution) in G.R. can be described by

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{dr}{d\lambda}\right)^2 + V(r) = \mathcal{E}[/tex]

where V(r) is the effective potential

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\epsilon - \epsilon\frac{GM}{r} + \frac{L^2}{2r^2} - \frac{GML^2}{r^3}[/tex]

and

[tex]\mathcal{E} = \frac{1}{2}E^2[/tex]

For photons [tex]\epsilon = 0[/tex] and for massive particles [tex]\epsilon = 1[/tex].

To illustrate I have tried to draw the potential for different values of L. Let's start with the null geodesics:

http://www.dianajuncher.dk/geodesic_light.png

The red line indicates the Newtonian potential. This is easy enough: for larger L it just becomes steeper and lies closer to the y-axis meaning that photons with large L (e.i. photons that point more away from the source of gravity) don't get too close, while photons with smaller L (pointing more directly at the source) get closer before moving away again.

For the G.R. lines it gets a bit more tricky. Now the effective potential goes to minus infinity which means, that you can acutally 'hit' the center. I just don't understand the whole energy-barrier-thing.

L is again just the direction of the photon, right? The closer it's path points at the source, the smaller the L?
And then there is the energy. Apparently, if the energy is larger than the barrier, the light can reach the center. But what exactly is this energy? It can hardly be the frequency of the photon or something like that. I find it strange, that the barrier is high for high L - with both a high energy and high L I would think, that the photon just escaped. I thought high energy prevented things from being 'sucked in'?

And then there is the massive particles:

http://www.dianajuncher.dk/geodesic_particle.png

Here the L depends on both the direction of the path and the velocity of the particle, right?

Again I don't get the whole energy-barrier-thing. My instinct tells me, that the higher energy you have, the better you can escape. But the higher your energy is, the better you can get over the barrier?

Bonus question: if you actually do manage to cross the barrier, you don't just go straight to the center, right? There must be a spiralling motion for both photons and massive particles.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dianaj said:
And then there is the energy. Apparently, if the energy is larger than the barrier, the light can reach the center. But what exactly is this energy? It can hardly be the frequency of the photon or something like that.

Right. [itex]E[/itex] is, for a particular trajectory, a constant of the motion that acts somewhat like Newtonian orbital energy.; hence, the label.

Let's build up some intuition by considering examples. Consider two scenarios that both have [itex]\mathcal{E} < V_{max}[/itex].

Scenario 1: [itex]r[/itex] is very large and [itex]dr/d\lambda > 0[/itex].

Scenario 1: [itex]r[/itex] is very large and [itex]dr/d\lambda < 0[/itex].

Use your Newtonian intuition to predict what happens in each case, i.e., think about the Newtonian force to which the potential gives rise.
dianaj said:
Bonus question: if you actually do manage to cross the barrier, you don't just go straight to the center, right? There must be a spiralling motion for both photons and massive particles.

What if L = 0?

Take a look at this webpage http://www.fourmilab.ch/gravitation/orbits/

If I take the first equation given on that webpage:

[tex]\~{V}^2(\~{L},r) = \left(1-\frac{2GM}{r}\right)\left(1+\frac{\~{L}^2}{r^2}\right)[/tex]

(I have replaced G which they have set equal to 1) and multiply the brackets out and divide both sides by two I get:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\~{V}^2(\~{L},r) = \frac{1}{2}-\frac{GM}{r}+\frac{\~{L}^2}{2r^2}--\frac{GM\~{L}^2}{r^3}[/tex]

which is pretty much the expression you have for V(r) except they have assumed a value of 1 for [itex]\epsilon[/itex] so:

[tex]V(r) = \frac{1}{2}\~{V}^2(\~{L},r) [/tex]

The next equation they give is:

[tex]\left(\frac{dr}{d\tau}\right)^2+\~{V}^2(\~L.r) = \~{E}^2[/tex]

Dividing both sides by 2

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{dr}{d\tau}\right)^2+\frac{1}{2}\~{V}^2(\~L.r) = \frac{1}{2}\~{E}^2[/tex]

and substituting V(r) for [itex]\frac{1}{2}\~{V}^2(\~{L},r) [/itex] I get:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{dr}{d\tau}\right)^2 + V(r) = \frac{1}{2}\~{E}^2[/tex]

It seems that the expression they get for [itex]\frac{1}{2}\~{E}^2 [/itex] is the same as the expression you gave for [tex]\mathcal{E}[/tex] if I assume that the symbol that you have used ([itex]\lambda[/itex]) and the symbol that they have used ([itex]\tau[/itex]) both stand for proper time. Do you know if that is the case?
If so, it seems that the webpage and your post are talking about the same thing and that L is angular momentum according to that webpage.

dianaj said:
Again I don't get the whole energy-barrier-thing. My instinct tells me, that the higher energy you have, the better you can escape. But the higher your energy is, the better you can get over the barrier?

As I understand it, the energy barrier is not what prevents you escaping, but is what stops you falling in. The effective potential is unique to your angular momentum and if you have sufficient angular momentum then there is a barrier to falling in and although you might spiral inwards you simply spiral out again, but if you do not have sufficient angular momentum there is no barrier to falling in.

effpot.png

In the diagram above the red particle can not fall into the black hole to the left of it because it is prevented from doing so by the peak in the effective potential between it and the black hole. If the particle had insufficient angular momentum, then the peak would not be there because the effective potential is a function of its angular momentum.

dianaj said:
Bonus question: if you actually do manage to cross the barrier, you don't just go straight to the centre, right? There must be a spiralling motion for both photons and massive particles.
I think you can now figure out what happens if the angular momentum is zero, but if not play around with the settings of the applet on that webpage ;)

Related to Effective potential and geodesics in G.R.

1. What is the effective potential in General Relativity?

The effective potential in General Relativity (G.R.) is a mathematical concept used to describe the motion of particles in curved space-time. It takes into account the effects of both gravity and the curvature of space-time on the motion of a particle.

2. How is the effective potential calculated?

The effective potential is calculated by taking into account the gravitational potential, the kinetic energy of the particle, and the curvature of space-time. It can be represented as a function of the particle's position and momentum.

3. What is the significance of the effective potential in G.R.?

The effective potential is significant because it allows us to understand how particles move in a curved space-time, which is the basis of General Relativity. It also helps us to predict the motion of particles around massive objects, such as stars and black holes.

4. What are geodesics in G.R.?

Geodesics in G.R. refer to the path that a particle will follow in a curved space-time. They are the equivalent of straight lines in Euclidean geometry and are the shortest distance between two points in space-time. Objects in free fall will follow geodesics.

5. How are geodesics related to the effective potential?

The effective potential plays a crucial role in determining the shape and curvature of geodesics in G.R. It is the factor that determines the path a particle will take in a curved space-time, and therefore, it is closely related to the concept of geodesics.