Effect variable cylinder radius has on airflow

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving fluid dynamics and the possible effects of changing the diameter of a pipe. It is suggested to research venturi tubes and the principles of mass and volume flow rate. The possibility of flow restriction and the involvement of air pressure and velocity are also mentioned. Ultimately, it is recommended to consult an expert in fluid dynamics for further understanding.
serveboy
Can someone shed some light on the following problem? I'm unable to get any traction on it as I know nothing about fluid dynamics (I'm a computer engineer).

It's a problem I made up over a lunch discussion with a friend. I've illustrated it as folows:

airflow_problem.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't believe your r2/r1 ratio will have much of an effect.

Try researching venturi tubes, as yours appears to be the inverse of one.

On the most basic of terms.
mass flow rate in = mass flow rate out
and
mass flow rate = density*velocity*cross sectional area
and
volume flow rate = velocity*cross sectional area

I don't believe there will be any difference with or without the w1 section either. For there to be any change in the net flow rate, work needs to be done somewhere in the pipe, which itself would just be counted as a restriction of flow no matter if the pipe is changing diameter or not.

Since the working fluid is air under pressure, this problem is not as simple as it seems. The velocity of the air from the high pressure side depends, in part, on the friction in the connecting duct. If the velocity is high enough, then the flow into the low pressure reservoir could choke, which means that there is a maximum flow rate which is attained.

Since this is a 'made-up' problem, I don't know what I can tell you do other than consult someone who is knowledgeable in fluid dynamics and gas dynamics.

Related to Effect variable cylinder radius has on airflow

1. How does changing the cylinder radius affect airflow?

Changing the cylinder radius can affect airflow by altering the cross-sectional area of the cylinder. This can impact the velocity of the airflow, as well as the pressure and turbulence within the cylinder.

2. What is the relationship between cylinder radius and airflow?

The relationship between cylinder radius and airflow is complex and depends on various factors, such as the shape of the cylinder, the speed of the airflow, and the density of the fluid. Generally, a larger cylinder radius can result in increased airflow, but this relationship is not always linear.

3. How does the shape of the cylinder affect the impact of radius on airflow?

The shape of the cylinder can greatly impact the effect of radius on airflow. For example, a cylinder with a streamlined shape can experience less turbulence and therefore have a more predictable impact of radius on airflow compared to a cylinder with irregular or rough surfaces.

4. Can changing the cylinder radius improve airflow efficiency?

Changing the cylinder radius may improve airflow efficiency in some cases, such as when the cylinder is causing excessive turbulence or pressure drop. However, other factors, such as the overall design and conditions of the system, should also be considered when attempting to improve airflow efficiency.

5. How can the effect of cylinder radius on airflow be accurately measured?

The effect of cylinder radius on airflow can be measured through various experimental methods, such as wind tunnel testing or computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations. These techniques can provide valuable insights into the impact of cylinder radius on airflow and help optimize the design for specific applications.