Effect of Temperature on Chemical Equilibrium

In summary, the conversation was about Le Chatelier's principle and the effect of temperature on equilibrium constants. The participants discussed the difference between temperature, pressure, and concentration in terms of their impact on rate constants. It was mentioned that while temperature affects the rate constant, pressure and concentration do not. The reason for this was not fully explained, but it was suggested that a course in chemical thermodynamics would provide a more in-depth understanding.
Karan Punjabi
Guys, I'm studying about Le-chatelier's principle and the topic is effect of temperature. I just went through it and found a difficulty that why K values changes i.e why the equilibrium constant changes as in other effects like changes in concentration, pressure,etc the K values remains constant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Karan:

I looked at the Wikipedia article
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Chatelier's_principle
and I found no equations involving a variable "K". So, I assume that by "K value" you mean temperature.

I can make some wild guesses about the problem you are asking about, but in order to help you I need to see the context of the question, with quoted material for the source if possible.

Regards,
Buzz

In the simplest model the rate constant is given by the Arrhenius equation, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_rate_constant

The higher the temperature, the easier it is for the reactants to overcome the reaction barrier. No such dependence of the rate constant exists for pressure and concentration. That said, they still have to be considered in Le Châtelier's principle (although pressure only for gases).

You are asking why the equilibrium constant is a function of temperature, but not pressure or concentration, correct?

Chestermiller said:
You are asking why the equilibrium constant is a function of temperature, but not pressure or concentration, correct?
I understood you Drclaud. And I want the same thing mentioned above that is why Equilibrium constant is a function of temperature . why it doesn't varies with changes in concentration and pressure

Karan Punjabi said:
I understood you Drclaud. And I want the same thing mentioned above that is why Equilibrium constant is a function of temperature . why it doesn't varies with changes in concentration and pressure
I take that as a yes. Have you had a course in chemical thermodynamics yet?

Chestermiller said:
I take that as a yes. Have you had a course in chemical thermodynamics yet?
No, I'm in FYJC so no knowledge of thermodynamics

Karan Punjabi said:
No, I'm in FYJC so no knowledge of thermodynamics
Well, when you take chemical thermodynamics, you will learn about the derivation of the equilibrium constant and why it is a function of temperature alone. The coursework leading up to this is just too lengthy to describe here.

chet

Likes Karan Punjabi
Chestermiller said:
Well, when you take chemical thermodynamics, you will learn about the derivation of the equilibrium constant and why it is a function of temperature alone. The coursework leading up to this is just too lengthy to describe here.

chet
Ohk thanks for the help☺

Related to Effect of Temperature on Chemical Equilibrium

1. How does temperature affect chemical equilibrium?

Temperature can affect chemical equilibrium by shifting the balance between reactants and products. In an exothermic reaction, an increase in temperature will shift the equilibrium towards the reactants, while in an endothermic reaction, an increase in temperature will shift the equilibrium towards the products.

2. Does the equilibrium constant change with temperature?

Yes, the equilibrium constant, also known as Keq, is affected by temperature. As the temperature increases, the value of Keq also changes, indicating a shift in the equilibrium position.

3. How does Le Chatelier's principle apply to temperature and equilibrium?

Le Chatelier's principle states that when a system at equilibrium is subjected to a change, it will respond by shifting in the direction that minimizes the effect of the change. In the case of temperature, an increase or decrease will cause the equilibrium to shift in the direction that absorbs or releases heat, respectively.

4. Can temperature be used to control the direction of a chemical reaction?

Yes, temperature can be used to manipulate the direction of a chemical reaction. By adjusting the temperature, the equilibrium can be shifted towards the desired products or reactants, allowing for control over the reaction.

5. What is the effect of temperature on the rate of a reaction at equilibrium?

The rate of a reaction at equilibrium is not affected by temperature. This is because the forward and reverse reactions are occurring at equal rates, resulting in no net change in the concentration of reactants and products. However, a change in temperature can affect the time it takes for the equilibrium to be reached.