Effect of noise cancelling audio equipment

In summary: Do they have any long term effects on your hearing?No, they should not have any long term effects on your hearing.
CookieSalesman
Noise cancelling earbuds/headphones differ from noise isolating earbuds/headphones. Noise isolation just keeps the sound out, whereas noise cancellation actively produces sound in order to "cancel" noise.I understand how this works technologically, however do these sound waves cancel out so that your ears are subjected to reduced decibels? I have tried a friend's pair. When nothing is going on, you hear lots of "static"-like noises. No doubt this is the earbuds trying to cancel ambient sound.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if this is good for your hearing, and not just for listening to better music. Can the extra sound waves generated actually increase the ambient volume?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, at your ear, it should be less dbm's. Yes, they are canceled out at the exact spot going into your ear. I lost hearing in one ear working on this stuff, but during actual operation, there are limiters and such to keep it safe. I would use them without worry.

CookieSalesman said:
...however do these sound waves cancel out so that your ears are subjected to reduced decibels? I have tried a friend's pair. When nothing is going on, you hear lots of "static"-like noises. No doubt this is the earbuds trying to cancel ambient sound.
Anyhow, I'm wondering if this is good for your hearing, and not just for listening to better music. Can the extra sound waves generated actually increase the ambient volume?
Yes, depending on the system you might hear an increased "noise floor." But listening with no music in a quiet environment is an unfair test-they are designed for use in noisy places like a plane while listening. I can't imagine problems to your hearing, it should make for less fatigue, BUT again systems vary in their quality.

Likes sophiecentaur
Thanks. So what is this "noise floor"? Does this mean the ambient volume my ears truly hear is louder than usual? Suppose I am planning to buy a very good, very expensive set of noise isolating earbuds. Is there science that can verify if these are good for my hearing or bad?

CookieSalesman said:
Thanks. So what is this "noise floor"? Does this mean the ambient volume my ears truly hear is louder than usual? Suppose I am planning to buy a very good, very expensive set of noise isolating earbuds. Is there science that can verify if these are good for my hearing or bad?
Noise floor would be a slight background hiss that you might hear from the headphones if you were in a quiet room with no music playing.

Borg said:
Noise floor would be a slight background hiss that you might hear from the headphones if you were in a quiet room with no music playing.
Thanks. But how about the effects of noise cancellation on my ears?
"Is there science that can verify if these are good for my hearing or bad?" I haven't heard much from people about the actual science of this. Is this "noise floor" or ambient volume actually louder than the non-actively-cancelled ambience?

I would have though that the most you would experience from using these in a quiet environment is a low volume white noise.
It seems to me unlikely that this might damage (or for that matter improve) your hearing in any way.
They aren't doing anything to your biochemistry or nervous system.

CookieSalesman said:
Thanks. But how about the effects of noise cancellation on my ears?
"Is there science that can verify if these are good for my hearing or bad?" I haven't heard much from people about the actual science of this. Is this "noise floor" or ambient volume actually louder than the non-actively-cancelled ambience?
The sound waves cancel each other out which is effectively the same as no sound in the first place. They are good for your hearing as long as you aren't listening to your music loudly. The Wiki article on Noise Cancelling Headphones has more pros and cons. Here is a six page article on the the details - How Noise Cancelling Headphones work.
Again, the floor noise is very minor. You would have to be in a quiet room with no music playing to even notice it.

Here's a link on destructive interference. The ultimate goal of noise cancelling headphones is to duplicate the outside noise with a signal that is 180 degrees out of phase and mix it in.

Thanks. So I'll be planning on buying some noise cancelling earbuds.

Related to Effect of noise cancelling audio equipment

What is noise cancelling audio equipment?

Noise cancelling audio equipment is a type of technology that uses advanced algorithms and digital signal processing to reduce or eliminate unwanted external noise from an audio signal. This can improve the overall sound quality and clarity of audio playback.

How does noise cancelling audio equipment work?

Noise cancelling audio equipment works by using built-in microphones to detect external noise and then generating an inverse sound wave to cancel it out. This is done in real-time and can significantly reduce the impact of background noise on audio playback.

What are the benefits of using noise cancelling audio equipment?

The main benefit of using noise cancelling audio equipment is that it can greatly improve the listening experience by reducing or eliminating distracting background noise. This can be particularly useful in loud or busy environments, such as on a plane or in a busy office.

Are there any drawbacks to using noise cancelling audio equipment?

One potential drawback of using noise cancelling audio equipment is that it may not be effective in completely eliminating all external noise. It may also add a slight delay to the audio playback, which can be noticeable to some users.

Can noise cancelling audio equipment be used for any type of audio playback?

Yes, noise cancelling audio equipment can be used for any type of audio playback, including music, videos, and phone calls. However, for optimal performance, it is recommended to use high-quality audio files and to adjust the settings according to the type of audio being played.