Effect of friction on the tension acting on the string

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the equation ΣF = Ma in determining the acceleration of two weights attached to a weightless string passing through a slit over a pulley. The conversation also addresses the role of friction in the system and how it affects the tension in the string. It is concluded that the acceleration of the system is controlled by the accelerations of the attached weights, and that the system can be static over a range of nearly-equal masses.
decentfellow

Homework Statement

A weightless string passes through a slit over a pulley. The slit offers frictional force '##f##' to the string. the string carries two weights having masses ##m_1## and ##m_2## where ##m_2 \gt m_1##, then find the acceleration of the weights.
scan0001.jpg

Homework Equations

$$\vec{F}=m\vec{a}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Now, I have no idea how to deal with the friction with the slit. If the slit provides tension, then should there be a different tension in the string along two different ends of the slit? Just can't think of any other way to incorporate friction in the answer if not that.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
decentfellow said:
Now, I have no idea how to deal with the friction with the slit. If the slit provides friction, then should there be a different friction in the string along two different ends of the slit?
I think you meant to write a "different tension" in the string at the two ends of the slit. If so, you are correct.

Of course, as is generally the case with friction, if the friction is adequate to prevent slippage, it exerts only enough force to do so, no more.

jbriggs444 said:
I think you meant to write a "different tension" in the string at the two ends of the slit. If so, you are correct.

Of course, as is generally the case with friction, if the friction is adequate to prevent slippage, it exerts only enough force to do so, no more.
Oops, that was my intention, anyhow edited it.

decentfellow said:
should there be a different tension in the string along two different ends of the slit?
Yes. Proceed on that basis.

haruspex said:
Yes. Proceed on that basis.
But what should I think while trying to relate the two different tensions at either side of the slit.

decentfellow said:
But what should I think while trying to relate the two different tensions at either side of the slit.
Write ΣF = Ma for the massless string between the slit .This will give you the relation between the two tensions acting at its ends . Thereafter do the usual force balance on the two blocks.

conscience said:
Write ΣF = Ma for the massless string between the slit .This will give you the relation between the two tensions acting at its ends . Thereafter do the usual force balance on the two blocks.
So after reading your post what I arrived at was that if the (according to the figure accompanying the question) the tension in the string below the slit is ##T_2## and above the slit it is ##T_1##, then we get the relation ##T_2=T_1+f##. Am I correct? If what I have done is indeed correct then what I don't understand is that why is it that when we move up the slit the tension decreases so as to overcome the force of friction, wouldn't the acceleration of the part above the slit have a different acceleration than the one below the slit, and now as the string is inextensible then how would this happen? I know that the string is massless but I can't but i can't think of anything that could clear this doubt of mine, your assistance is very much needed. Ca n you also help me in this @haruspex

decentfellow said:
So after reading your post what I arrived at was that if the (according to the figure accompanying the question) the tension in the string below the slit is ##T_2## and above the slit it is ##T_1##, then we get the relation ##T_2=T_1+f##. Am I correct? If what I have done is indeed correct then what I don't understand is that why is it that when we move up the slit the tension decreases so as to overcome the force of friction, wouldn't the acceleration of the part above the slit have a different acceleration than the one below the slit, and now as the string is inextensible then how would this happen? I know that the string is massless but I can't but i can't think of anything that could clear this doubt of mine, your assistance is very much needed. Ca n you also help me in this @haruspex
Since the string is massless, the net force on any given portion of the string must be zero. Its acceleration is entirely controlled by the accelerations of the objects attached to it.

haruspex said:
Since the string is massless, the net force on any given portion of the string must be zero. Its acceleration is entirely controlled by the accelerations of the objects attached to it.
Gotta say you always go ahead clear the doubts in the least possible words, just didn't think of the acceleration of the masses attached to the string, and they are indeed same, i.e ##\dfrac{(m_2-m_1)g-f}{m_1+m_2}##.

decentfellow said:
Gotta say you always go ahead clear the doubts in the least possible words, just didn't think of the acceleration of the masses attached to the string, and they are indeed same, i.e ##\dfrac{(m_2-m_1)g-f}{m_1+m_2}##.
Looks good. Interestingly, it still holds if the system is static.

haruspex said:
Careful. The system can be static over a range of nearly-equal masses where the equation predicts a non-zero acceleration.

jbriggs444 said:
Careful. The system can be static over a range of nearly-equal masses where the equation predicts a non-zero acceleration.
It says the frictional force is f. Nothing is said about coefficients of friction. If it is static, the frictional force will be whatever makes it static.

haruspex said:
What does "static system" mean here. If it is the same as the system having no acceleration then howcome the expression that I have written holds even when the system is static wouldn't the acceleration of the system be zero.

decentfellow said:
What does "static system" mean here. If it is the same as the system having no acceleration then howcome the expression that I have written holds even when the system is static wouldn't the acceleration of the system be zero.
Yes. What does that tell you about f in that case?

haruspex said:
Yes. What does that tell you about f in that case?
Okay then that means that when the system is static then also the friction is acting and is equal to ##(m_2-m_1)g##, and if the friction acting b/w the slit and the string is zero then we have an acceleration ##\dfrac{(m_2-m_1)g}{m_1+m_2}##, but how is that possible because in that case there would be relative motion b/w the slit and the string so friction must be acting b/w hte surface of slit and thread.

decentfellow said:
when the system is static then also the friction is acting and is equal to (m2−m1)g,
yes.
decentfellow said:
if the friction acting b/w the slit and the string is zero then we have an acceleration (m2−m1)g/(m1+m2)
Yes.
decentfellow said:
in that case there would be relative motion b/w the slit and the string so friction must be acting b/w hte surface of slit and thread.
No. If there is no friction there is no friction. There doesn't suddenly become friction because there is movement.
To put it another way, the coefficient of static friction could be equal to that of kinetic friction but it can never be less.

haruspex said:
No. If there is no friction there is no friction. There doesn't suddenly become friction because there is movement.
To put it another way, the coefficient of static friction could be equal to that of kinetic friction but it can never be less.
Ohh! I see what I did wrong there I assumed that the slit doesn't provide any friction whatsoever, i.e. ##\mu = 0##, hence there would be no force of friction.

haruspex said:
It says the frictional force is f. Nothing is said about coefficients of friction. If it is static, the frictional force will be whatever makes it static.
It does not say that the frictional force is f. It says that the frictional force "offerered" is f. I take that to mean that the f denotes the maximum force that could be achieved by friction, not the actual force. Of course, that is purely an interpretation and opinions can vary.

jbriggs444 said:
It does not say that the frictional force is f. It says that the frictional force "offerered" is f. I take that to mean that the f denotes the maximum force that could be achieved by friction, not the actual force. Of course, that is purely an interpretation and opinions can vary.
Yes, that is far from clear. But if it means the maximum frictional force, that would normally imply static. That would make the question unanswerable.

Related to Effect of friction on the tension acting on the string

1. How does friction affect the tension on a string?

Friction can increase or decrease the tension on a string, depending on the direction of the force applied. If the force is applied in the direction of the string's movement, friction will increase the tension. However, if the force is applied opposite to the string's movement, friction will decrease the tension.

2. What factors affect the amount of friction on a string?

The amount of friction on a string can be affected by several factors, such as the surface texture of the string and the surface it is in contact with, the weight of the object pulling on the string, and the angle of the string relative to the surface.

3. How can friction be minimized when using strings?

To minimize friction when using strings, it is important to choose smooth and non-abrasive surfaces for the string to pass over. Additionally, using lubricants or reducing the weight of the object pulling on the string can also help reduce friction.

4. Can friction cause a string to break?

Yes, friction can cause a string to break if the tension becomes too high or if the string is pulled at an angle that creates excessive friction. It is important to consider the amount of friction and tension when using strings to avoid any potential breakage.

5. How does friction affect the accuracy of string tension measurements?

Friction can affect the accuracy of string tension measurements, as it can create discrepancies in the amount of tension applied to the string. This is why it is important to minimize friction when making tension measurements to ensure accuracy.