Effect of 3D photons on a 2D universe. Help me understand?

In summary, according to the video, a 4th spatial dimension is just a 3rd dimension inside another. It is virtually improbable that we would ever see evidence of a 4D universe, as people like the man in the video would be drawing on the walls with crayons and giggling if it existed.
omoplata
Hi,

I just saw this video on youtube, originally from Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos', about a 4th spatial dimension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KT4M7kiSw&NR=1"

So what happens when the photons that are traveling in 3D hit an object in a 2D plane universe. To a 2D object it seems like photon appearing from nowhere? And therefore matter and energy appearing from nowhere?

Not only for light, but if any piece of matter went through the 2D plane universe wouldn't that imply that the conservation of energy doesn't hold in the 2D universe?

And what about the conservation of momentum. If a 3D object hit a 2D object with any velocity perpendicular to the plane, then that would push the 2D object out of the plane and thus out of its universe (provided they interact).

I would like input from you guys as to whether my reasoning is correct. And is there any way of making objects in a 2D plane universe and a 3D universe interact while holding the conservation of energy and momentum in both universes?

I just realized while I was writing this that we don't actually see any really 2D things. I mean, everything we see have a thickness, even if one atomic layer thick. So even if there was a 2D universe within our 3D universe, we wouldn't see it because it has no thickness?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Ok i was going to be serious, but watching a minute of that...you actually watched all of that?
What he said was bogus he began his little "session" by saying we are flat, that we are "2d" don't listen to this.
"not meaning the OP i am referring to the video link"

Well, why are we NOT flat? I mean, why do we have 3 spatial dimensions? What's so special about 3 ?

Drawings are flat they have no mass or volume of whatever
we or any object have length, width and height. therefore making us 3d i guess
and what he implied basically that a 4th dimension is just a 3rd inside another
as to your question that is virtually improbable. I'm no professor but honestly if no one ever brought up the theories of dimensions guys like the dude on your video would be drawing on the walls with crayons and giggling.

Oh, I did not interpret the video as Carl Sagan is saying people actually have evidence of a 4D universe, if that's what you mean.

For one thing I'm questioning his assumption that you can see a 2D universe from a 3D one. The example he used on this doesn't really seem to work.

The other thing that bugs me is, why 3 ?

yea um...ok. Video games.

Oh, you posted #4 on this tread while I was writing up post #5, so #5 is not a reply to #4. Sorry about any confusion.

I disagree that drawings are flat. A drawing is a thin layer of paint on a surface. The paint has a thickness.

Digital worlds.

Related to Effect of 3D photons on a 2D universe. Help me understand?

1. What is a 3D photon?

A 3D photon is a particle of light that has three dimensions - length, width, and height. This is in contrast to a 2D photon, which only has two dimensions - length and width.

2. How does a 3D photon affect a 2D universe?

The presence of 3D photons in a 2D universe can have a significant impact on the physical laws and dynamics of the universe. This is because 3D photons carry energy and can interact with the particles and forces in the 2D universe, altering their behavior and potentially creating new phenomena.

3. Can a 2D universe support the existence of 3D photons?

It is currently unknown whether a 2D universe can support the existence of 3D photons. Some theories suggest that a 2D universe may have different physical laws that do not allow for the existence of 3D particles. However, further research and experimentation is needed to fully understand this concept.

4. How might the presence of 3D photons impact the evolution of a 2D universe?

The presence of 3D photons could potentially lead to the creation of new structures and phenomena in the 2D universe. For example, the interactions between 3D photons and 2D particles could result in the formation of 2D molecules or even 2D organisms. It could also affect the overall expansion and stability of the universe.

5. Is there any evidence or observations that suggest the existence of 3D photons in our 2D universe?

Currently, there is no direct evidence or observations that suggest the existence of 3D photons in our 2D universe. However, some theories in physics, such as string theory, suggest the possibility of higher dimensions and particles that could potentially interact with our 2D world. Further research and experimentation may provide more insights into this concept.