Edwards, Tangherlini, Selleri transformations and their inverse

In summary, Edwards, Tangherlini, and Selleri proposed synchrony parameter dependent transformation equations, referred to as direct transformations, which are between two synced systems. These transformations also have an inverse version, but they are not commonly used unless necessary for the argument being made. It is relatively easy to calculate the inverse transformations, and for the Edwards transform, it is essentially its own inverse. However, the Selleri transformation poses a problem as it involves standard clock synchronization in one frame and external synchronization in the other. The rule for finding the inverse transformations is different in this case, involving replacing V by -\gamma^2 V and \gamma by 1/\gamma. Additionally, the velocity V' measured in the "moving" observer's
bernhard.rothenstein
Edwards, Tangherlini, Selleri propose synchrony parameter dependent transformation equations we have discussed here. Call them direct transformations. They also their inverse version. As I see they are not used. Is there a special reason for that. Are they of interest?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no need to quote an inverse transformation unless the argument you are making requires such a transformation. I think I've probably seen inverse Selleri/Tangherlini transforms somewhere, though I can't remember where. It's quite easy to calculate.

The Edwards transform is between two arbitrarily synced systems and so is "its own inverse" in the sense that the Lorentz transform is "its own inverse", you just need to change the values of the parameters. (E.g. v to -v in the Lorentz case.)

DrGreg said:
There's no need to quote an inverse transformation unless the argument you are making requires such a transformation. I think I've probably seen inverse Selleri/Tangherlini transforms somewhere, though I can't remember where. It's quite easy to calculate.

The Edwards transform is between two arbitrarily synced systems and so is "its own inverse" in the sense that the Lorentz transform is "its own inverse", you just need to change the values of the parameters. (E.g. v to -v in the Lorentz case.)

My problem is with the Selleri transformation There in I the clocks are standard synchronized whereas in I using the so called external synchronization. If we know the direct transformations the inverse ones are not obtainable by the rule which works in the case when in both frames standard clock synchronization takes place i.e. change the sign of V and interchange the primed with unprimed same physical quantities.
As allways respect and thanks.

bernhard.rothenstein said:
My problem is with the Selleri transformation There in I the clocks are standard synchronized whereas in I using the so called external synchronization. If we know the direct transformations the inverse ones are not obtainable by the rule which works in the case when in both frames standard clock synchronization takes place i.e. change the sign of V and interchange the primed with unprimed same physical quantities.
As allways respect and thanks.
If you know the direct transformation, finding the inverse is just mathematical algebra, in this case, solving two simultaneous equations, or, equivalently, inverting a 2x2 matrix.

Changing the sign of V etc won't work because whereas the forward transform is from isotropic to anistropic coordinates, the reverse (inverse) transform is from anisotropic to istropic coordinates, so you would not expect the "same" formula to apply. If should also be pointed out that V is measured within the isotropic coordinates (as dx/dt for the "moving" observer relative to the "stationary" observer). The velocity V' of the "stationary" observer relative to the "moving" observer as measured in the "moving" observer's anisotropic coordinates (dx'/dt') will not be -V.

[tex]x' = \gamma(x - Vt)[/tex]
[tex]t' = t/\gamma[/tex]​

has inverse

[tex]x = (x' + \gamma^2 Vt')/\gamma[/tex]
[tex]t = \gamma t'[/tex]​

from which it follows that

[tex]V' = -\gamma^2 V[/tex]​

So the rule in this case is to replace V by [itex]-\gamma^2 V[/itex] and [itex]\gamma[/itex] by [itex]1/\gamma[/itex].

DrGreg said:
If you know the direct transformation, finding the inverse is just mathematical algebra, in this case, solving two simultaneous equations, or, equivalently, inverting a 2x2 matrix.

Changing the sign of V etc won't work because whereas the forward transform is from isotropic to anistropic coordinates, the reverse (inverse) transform is from anisotropic to istropic coordinates, so you would not expect the "same" formula to apply. If should also be pointed out that V is measured within the isotropic coordinates (as dx/dt for the "moving" observer relative to the "stationary" observer). The velocity V' of the "stationary" observer relative to the "moving" observer as measured in the "moving" observer's anisotropic coordinates (dx'/dt') will not be -V.

[tex]x' = \gamma(x - Vt)[/tex]
[tex]t' = t/\gamma[/tex]​

has inverse

[tex]x = (x' + \gamma^2 Vt')/\gamma[/tex]
[tex]t = \gamma t'[/tex]​

from which it follows that

[tex]V' = -\gamma^2 V[/tex]​

So the rule in this case is to replace V by [itex]-\gamma^2 V[/itex] and [itex]\gamma[/itex] by [itex]1/\gamma[/itex].

Thanks

I know that considering the relative positions of the I and I' reference frame from I at a given time t I can derive the say direct transformation for the space coordinates of an event
taking into account length contraction. If I consider the same situation from I at a time t' and taking into account length contraction I can derive the inverse transformation of the space coordinate. Combining the two equations I can derive the direct and the inverse transformations for the time coordinates of the same event.
Do you know a way to do the same thing but starting with the time dilation?

Related to Edwards, Tangherlini, Selleri transformations and their inverse

1. What is the significance of Edwards, Tangherlini, and Selleri transformations?

The Edwards, Tangherlini, and Selleri transformations are a set of mathematical transformations used in theoretical physics to simplify and analyze complex equations involving electromagnetic fields.

2. How do these transformations work?

These transformations involve converting vector quantities into scalar quantities, which are easier to manipulate mathematically. This allows for a more efficient analysis of electromagnetic phenomena.

3. What are the applications of these transformations?

The Edwards, Tangherlini, and Selleri transformations have various applications in theoretical physics, including in the study of electromagnetic fields, gravitation, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in the development of new theories and models in these fields.

4. What is the inverse transformation of Edwards, Tangherlini, and Selleri transformations?

The inverse transformation of these transformations involves converting scalar quantities back into vector quantities. This is useful in solving equations and analyzing physical phenomena in their original vector form.

5. How are Edwards, Tangherlini, and Selleri transformations related to each other?

These transformations are closely related and build upon each other, with each one being a more complex and general version of the previous one. They are all based on the same principles of converting between vector and scalar quantities in order to simplify equations and analyze physical phenomena.