(edit:solved) Vector Triple Product, Components Parallel and Perpendicular

In summary, by applying the triple product expansion, the vector B can be resolved into a component parallel and perpendicular to a given vector A. This is done by using the equation A x (B x A) = |A|2 B - |A||B|cos(θ) A and rearranging to find B = A x (B x A) |A|-2 + A ((A ⋅ B)/|A|2). The second term is known as the projection of B on A and the first term is known as the rejection of B on A.
Seaborgium

Homework Statement

By considering A x (B x A) resolve vector B into a component parallel to a given vector A and a component perpendicular to a given vector A.

Homework Equations

a x (b x c) = b (ac) - c (ab)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've applied the triple product expansion and reached

A x (B x A) = B (AA) - A (AB) = |A|2 B - |A||B|cos(θ) A

and hit a brick wall. I'm not entirely sure what the question is asking me to do, and I feel like I'm missing crucial information. Should I be splitting vectors A and B into their cartesian components?EDIT:

I got it. Taking A x (B x A) = |A|2 B - A (AB) , I can rearrange to find

|A|2 B = A x (B x A) + A (AB)

Dividing through by |A|2 results in

B = A x (B x A) |A|-2 + A ((AB)/|A|2)

So B is given as a component perpendicular (first term) and parallel (second term) to A.

I'm fairly sure this is right anyway. Stupid I suddenly work this out after posting here after looking at it for 30 mins before!

Last edited:
Likes FactChecker and berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
FYI, The second term is called the "projection" of B on A and the first term is called the "rejection" of B on A.

Related to (edit:solved) Vector Triple Product, Components Parallel and Perpendicular

1. What is the vector triple product?

The vector triple product is a mathematical operation that involves three vectors and results in a new vector. It is defined as the cross product of the cross product of two vectors and a third vector. It is written as (A x B) x C and is also known as the scalar triple product.

2. How is the vector triple product calculated?

The vector triple product is calculated by taking the cross product of two vectors, then taking the cross product of the result with a third vector. The formula is (A x B) x C. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by using the determinant of a 3x3 matrix with the three vectors as its columns.

3. What are the properties of the vector triple product?

The vector triple product has the following properties:

• (A x B) x C = -(B x A) x C = (A x C) x B
  • (kA) x B = k(A x B) = A x (kB) where k is a scalar
  • (A + B) x C = A x C + B x C
  • A x (B + C) = A x B + A x C

4. What is the significance of the vector triple product in physics?

The vector triple product is used in physics to calculate the moment of a force. It is also used in the calculation of torque, angular momentum, and other quantities related to rotational motion. It is also used in the calculation of the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying wire.

5. How do I determine if two vectors are parallel or perpendicular using the vector triple product?

If the vector triple product of two vectors is zero, then the two vectors are either parallel or one of them is zero. If the vector triple product is equal to the magnitude of one of the vectors, then the two vectors are perpendicular. If the vector triple product is equal to the negative magnitude of one of the vectors, then the two vectors are anti-parallel. If the vector triple product is none of the above, then the two vectors are neither parallel nor perpendicular.