Easy Trig question involving pitch of roof

• Thread starter MACHO-WIMP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pitch Trig
In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem regarding the angle of a roof of a ski cabin. The person is unsure how to solve it since there are no numbers provided and suggests asking their teacher for help.
MACHO-WIMP

Homework Statement

The roof of a ski cabin has a steep pitch to help snow slide off. What angle does the roof make with the horizontal?

Homework Equations

SOH CAH TOA

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start considering I have no numbers to play around with so, any recommendations would greatly be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
MACHO-WIMP said:

Homework Statement

The roof of a ski cabin has a steep pitch to help snow slide off. What angle does the roof make with the horizontal?

Homework Equations

SOH CAH TOA

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know where to start considering I have no numbers to play around with so, any recommendations would greatly be appreciated.
Right!

There must be more to it than this !

SammyS said:
Right!

There must be more to it than this !

I'm pretty sure the answer is 48° but that is because my worksheet is set up where it gives the answers and eventually you solve a riddle, however I don't know how I would get to it. So should I just ask my teacher tomorrow?

Probably, because the problem is unsolvable the way it is right now.

Related to Easy Trig question involving pitch of roof

1. What is the formula for calculating the pitch of a roof?

The formula for calculating the pitch of a roof is rise over run, or the vertical rise divided by the horizontal run. This is typically expressed as a ratio or a percentage.

2. How do I measure the pitch of a roof?

To measure the pitch of a roof, you will need a level, a tape measure, and a calculator. Place the level on the roof and measure the vertical rise from the top of the level to the roof surface. Then, measure the horizontal run from the top of the level to the edge of the roof. Divide the rise by the run to get the pitch ratio.

3. What is a common pitch for residential roofs?

The most common pitch for residential roofs is between 4/12 and 9/12, which means the roof rises 4-9 inches for every 12 inches of horizontal run. This pitch is ideal for shedding water and snow.

4. How does the pitch of a roof affect its stability?

The pitch of a roof affects its stability by determining how much weight it can support. A steeper pitch can support more weight, making it better for areas with heavy snowfall. However, a flatter pitch may be more stable in high wind areas.

5. Can the pitch of a roof be changed?

Yes, the pitch of a roof can be changed, but it is a complex and expensive process. It typically involves removing the existing roof and rebuilding it with a different pitch. It is best to consult a professional before attempting to change the pitch of a roof.